Chocolate 3d printer help - New to coding, arduino, and all things 3d printer

Hi everyone,

A friend and I are in the process of designing and creating a 3d printer (that prints in chocolate instead of filament). We're new to coding (currently enrolled in an intro. to C class at our university) and have decided to use an arduino to control the stepper motors for our project. We have a few questions and figured the best place to ask was this forum. We are not asking for anyone to write our code for us, just for some helpful suggestions on how to write it and where else to look for this information.

1. What is the best way to transfer information (specifically g-code) from a raspberry pi to an arduino UNO R3?

2. What is the best way to read g-code and control stepper motors with the code?

3. Would one need multiple arduinos to control up to 6 stepper motors along with 4 heating elements, a pc water pump, and a digital thermometer, or would 1 be sufficient?

1. Would one need multiple arduinos to control up to 6 stepper motors along with 4 heating elements, a pc water pump, and a digital thermometer, or would 1 be sufficient?

One is sufficient.

1. What is the best way to transfer information (specifically g-code) from a raspberry pi to an arduino UNO R3?

Over serial using the USB connector.

1. What is the best way to read g-code and control stepper motors with the code?

Choice of a few. Look at this GRBL-Arduino-Library/gcode.cpp at master · Protoneer/GRBL-Arduino-Library · GitHub

We have a few questions and figured the best place to ask was this forum.

I would have thought the Rep-Rap forum would suit you better.

Remember, the communication is both to the Arduino controller and from the controller, back to the sender.

Paul

These links may help.

Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

Planning and Implementing a Program

However I reckon (as has already been mentioned) you will probably get a lot more useful advice, especially about ready-made software, on the RepRap Forum. I suspect they have come across chocolate printing before.

Also search YouTube.

…R

I would suggest using the Marlin firmware, since it is already trimmed for a 3D printer (GRBL is designed for CNC) you may not even need to make any modifications to it, with the exception of the config file, which is very well documented.
As stated previously the reprap forum is probably the place you want to ask.