Choosing a Battery and Building a Circuit for Arduino Robot

Hello, First of all I have a Wireless Arduino Robot Tank. It has an Arduino Uno and a Homemade Motor Shield using an SN754410 Quad Half H-Bridge IC. I would like to power the motors using 7 Volts and the max amperage for the IC is 1 Amp. I have a camera that I am trying to power off of the same battery that requires constant 5 Volts and constant 2 Amps. I would like to use a compact RC battery. I have tried using one that is 7.2V and 3600 mAh, but the Motor Control started to over heat. Is there a certain circuit that I can put together to drive both at steady Volts and the correct Amps? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Parallel another SN754410 to double (approximately) its heat dissipation/current capabilities - that'll do more than any voltage regulation you do, since clearly your motors draw more than a few hundred milliamps.

Use your 7.2v battery with a 5v switching regulator (RC BECs are usually good for this purpose) to provide power to the camera.

When you say to parallel the SN754410 do you mean to solder the leads directly on top of of the one mounted in the DIP socket already? I just went out and bought a BEC from Castle Creations that has a 10A max and is programmable but default programming is 5.1 Volts. They didn't have the castle link programmer in stock. Do you think I can plug it in as is, or do I need to wait for the programmer?

5.1V is within tolerance for most 5v logic devices (including the Arduino), so it should be fine.

And yes, I mean literally solder another one on top. You might also want to add a heatsink.

I did some looking already for a heatsink for an IC, but I could only find ones for the upright TO-220. Do they make ones that can mount on the DIP socket mounted IC's?

Just take some heatsink stock and cut it to size, or some scrap copper/aluminum that you can stick on with thermal grease. The whole idea is just to increase the surface area of the device, to allow heat to escape more quickly.