Choosing an Alternative Mosfet

Hello,
I want to know if I can use this AO3401A P-Channel mosfet instead of this SI2301 P-Channel mosfet.
I checked the datasheets and these are the values which I know are important:

SI2301 Mosfet:
Drain-Source Voltage: -20V
Gate-Source Voltage: ±8V
Continuous Drain Current: -2.3A
Pulsed Drain Current: -10A
Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage: -20V
Gate-Threshold Voltage: -0.45V

AO3401A Mosfet:
Drain-Source Voltage: -30V
Gate-Source Voltage: ±12V
Continuous Drain Current: -4A
Pulsed Drain Current: -27A
Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage: -30V
Gate-Threshold Voltage: -0.5V -- -0.9V -- -1.3V

For simple on-off or PWM? The AO has higher Gate capacitance which may cause problems with frequent switching and/or weak gate drive.

I assuming you are switching 5V nothing higher. Yes it should work just fine. If the gate is connected directly to the Arduino I would suggest using something in the range of 27 to 51 ohms in series to prevent oscillation. This does not happen often but I have seen it many times so I play safe. I would also suggest something in the range of 33K to 51K as a pull up for the arduino port pin to guarantee power on state.

This mosfet will be controlled by the output of a WS2811 IC to control some LEDs, everything is explained in this video

I did not watch the video, I guess the setup will use PWM, active pulling LOW, passive resistor HIGH. In general this is a poor setup for a MOSFET and increasing Gate capacitance will increase the switching loses. OTOH LEDs are "nice" load so it could work anyway.

Setrik_aZ:
Hello,
I want to know if I can use this AO3401A P-Channel mosfet instead of this SI2301 P-Channel mosfet.
I checked the datasheets and these are the values which I know are important:

SI2301 Mosfet:
Drain-Source Voltage: -20V
Gate-Source Voltage: ±8V
Continuous Drain Current: -2.3A
Pulsed Drain Current: -10A
Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage: -20V
Gate-Threshold Voltage: -0.45V

AO3401A Mosfet:
Drain-Source Voltage: -30V
Gate-Source Voltage: ±12V
Continuous Drain Current: -4A
Pulsed Drain Current: -27A
Drain-Source Breakdown Voltage: -30V
Gate-Threshold Voltage: -0.5V -- -0.9V -- -1.3V

Not enough information. The Rds(on) at Vgs=?V specification is vital - what gate voltage is
needed to switch each MOSFET on? The threshold voltage is basically irrelevant for using a
MOSFET as a switch.

What gate voltage do you need the MOSFET to work at? That's key information.

Those gate-source voltages you quote appear to be absolute maximum voltages - 8V
for an absolute maximum is very low, implying its not designed to work at 5V, not
reallly enough safety margin.

MarkT:
Not enough information. The Rds(on) at Vgs=?V specification is vital - what gate voltage is
needed to switch each MOSFET on? The threshold voltage is basically irrelevant for using a
MOSFET as a switch.

What gate voltage do you need the MOSFET to work at? That's key information.

Those gate-source voltages you quote appear to be absolute maximum voltages - 8V
for an absolute maximum is very low, implying its not designed to work at 5V, not
reallly enough safety margin.

Watch the video I mentioned earlier please, everything you need should be in it, I never used a mosfet before so I don't know what info you need, but there's also the datasheet of both mosfets in my first post.

Smajdalf:
I did not watch the video, I guess the setup will use PWM, active pulling LOW, passive resistor HIGH. In general this is a poor setup for a MOSFET and increasing Gate capacitance will increase the switching loses. OTOH LEDs are "nice" load so it could work anyway.

I don't think there's any PWM in my WS2811s output because with each output I will turn on and of a single segment (no RGB) at full brightness.