Choosing arduino board for wireless network application!! help needed!!

Hello,

I am trying to build a wireless network IOT application using arduino board with the following components to be interfaced with it:

1. A camera module
  2. A temperature and humidity sensor
  3. A gas sensor (mainly detecting CO2 and ammonia and dust)

First things first, will an arduino UNO R3 board will be able to handle all the components or I need a bigger board like MEGA? Also, I will be transferring data using a Xbee from the actual node developed to the host and planning to develop an app for the data collected.

Being new at this, any sort of suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Usually, there are only two things to consider when trying to determine if a certain Arduino board can handle the Job or not. The first is the number of I/O Pins you Need and that is heavily determined by what type of interfacing you do. An LCD Display can be attached using lots of digital Pins, or using I2C which only uses two Pins even if you attach many I2C devices. The second is Memory. Of course, the Mega has lots more than a UNO. In your Project, the main consideration is the camera module. How much Memory does it Need to do what you want?

WiFi and IOT suggest forgetting about an Arduino as such and using one or other variant of the ESP8266.

If you want to use video, you need a WiFi webcam. There is no shortage of those. There is no straightforward way of interconnecting them with an Arduino, but the ESP8266 should be able to control it via the wireless interface.

So, Can I not use the Arduino with OV7670 camera module and use a Wifi shield to transfer the data to the host pc via xbee communication?

parttime_coder: So, Can I not use the Arduino with OV7670 camera module and use a Wifi shield to transfer the data to the host pc via xbee communication?

It's depend what and how you want to use all those things... I'm sure that the minimum config would be the Mega2560, but maybe you need something more powerfull such as Arduino DUE... but it's up to what your project does ! And maybe you consider to add to your arduino a small computer like the raspberry Pi that already have a support for camera!

I am just looking to build a node with an arduino UNO R3 board witha wifi shield typically ESP8266 and a camera interface to it. Such that the camera is able to send the images and video to the host PC. I am not sure about the camera, I have looked at OV7670 and OV2640 modules. I am just not sure if they'll work well with the UNO board. Do I need a more powerful board?

The ESP8266 is a more powerful board. You use it instead of the UNO.

Thanks my friend! I'll dig into it.