choosing the right arduino nano board for an airship/blimp project

I'm going to build a remote controlled blimp/airship using Arduino and I need some advice for choosing the right Arduino nano board and peripherals.

Inspiring commercial products are blimpduino2 and microblimp so here are the specs:

• not too big helium inflatable baloon
  • arduino controller board
  • lithium battery
  • 3 small DC motors
  • remote controlled via phone app or another arduino board
  • sensors (I can skip that at first)

I'm using a school lab to make the PCB so any extra board should be single layer (possibly) with THT parts while trying to get weight as little as possible.

What I'm asking here is:

• which nano board should I use?
  • should I go with bluetooth, BLE or WiFi for the wireless control?
  • Android app or separate Arduino board as a remote control?

AFAIK there is a multitude of nano 33 boards that I could use that look all the same at a first glance (IOT, BLE, BLE sense). Which one is better suited? Should I trade the IMU sensor for WiFi? Are all of the equally supported?

As for wireless communication: I've used bluetooth in the past with an RN-42 module to get serial controls sent by a phone with an app (Bluetooth serial controller) and it was really easy. Is it just as straightforward using the bluetooth module embedded in the new nano boards?

Thanks!

You might want to dig into your project and research the communications portion. Most RC units I know of use RF remote controls not Bluetooth(very limit range), WiFi etc. Sorry this is not my field just trying to help.

gilshultz:
You might want to dig into your project and research the communications portion. Most RC units I know of use RF remote controls not Bluetooth(very limit range), WiFi etc. Sorry this is not my field just trying to help.

I'm not going to replicate exactly the projects I linked nonetheless I ruled out 2.4GHz RF transmission because I don't need the extra range and I want to use a radio communication that's already on a phone. What I need is some advice on which is the simplest solution among Bluetooth or WiFi for my use case - phone that sends commands to Arduino board on the airship - and pick one of the nano 33 boards accordingly.

Bluetooth range is nominally 10m.

Drone operators use phone apps and Wifi.

An Android app on a phone or tablet allows great flexibility in designing a control panel.

John.