Choosing the right CPLD board

Hi, I would like to try use some CPLDs. I looked at eBay for something small and cheap that I can use with breadboard. As far as I know there is no modern DIP CPLD and most are very small with many pins so I need some breakout board.

I have found a board with Coolrunner-II from Xilinx. But from photos it looks like there is only few pins of the chip accessible. Do you have any idea what are those boards designed for?

More usable looks board with MAX II EPM240 from Altera. It has all(?) pins connected to a header. But the Datasheet states the chip can be programmend only 100 times.

Does anyone have experience with such boards - if pins of the CoolRunner are somehow accesible or if the Max can be usually programmed much more often? Or is there some other board I should choose? What about programming? I think developement software from both Xilinx and Altera are for free but do I need a programmer? Or is it possible to use Arduino as JTAG programmer?

(deleted)

You could have a look at https://www.seeedstudio.com/XC2C64A-CoolRunner-II-CPLD-development-board-p-800.html#.

spycatcher2k:
Just not an Arduino question, is it!

It is not question about Arduino but for Arduino community: I want answer from people with about the same skills and equipment, not from an engineer who works with CPLDs as their job and have all developement tools at their disposal.

I have found what is the CoolRunner board for: it is some replacement or enhacement for xbox, not something for electronics hobby. But I have found this board with Xilinx XC9572XL chip that should survive 10k reprogrammings and have 5V tolerant pins.
But there is still problem with programming: is there a way for Arduino to work as JTAG programmer? Or do I need a programmer? May I use copy of Altera’s programmer to interface Xilinx software to Xilinx chip?

As far as I know there is no modern DIP CPLD and most are very small with many pins so I need some breakout board.

Cmod: Breadboardable CoolRunner-II CPLD Module

Smajdalf: May I use copy of Altera's programmer to interface Xilinx software to Xilinx chip?

Definitely you can. Not with Xilinx tools, though.

If you buy this configuration, you can use urjtag to program your Xilinx board with Altera USB-JTAG clone by first generating SVF with iMPACT tool and then flushing this SVF with urjtag.