Church bell Automation

Hello to everyone :)

I am a beginner in the Arduino programming. I want to improve ringing in the church tower. I was able to program the PLC to have the strikes on each full hour, the number of strokes.

I'd like to do it through the Arduino.

I need to have this:

1. Digital clock with the correct time setting (RTC) on lcd 16x 2

2. PB which activates the constant ringing in the length of 20min ..

3. Pulse length 100-250ms

4. The strokes for every full hour (strokes hours)

5. strokes every half and a quarter hours (one pulse)

At the output I would use SSR. I have arduino pro mini. I would get to 3231.

Mostly timing when to stroke like this: If the time is 13:00:00 (exactly 1 pm), then strike. If the time is 14:00:00 (exactly 2 pm), then strike. If the time is 14:00:02 (2 seconds after 2 pm), then strike.

I do not need to change the time when these will be active. Maybe automatic winter and summer time change.

I'm open to suggestions and solutions.

I apologize in advance to my bad English, English is not my native language.

Thank you in advance :)

Welcome Zivkovicm to this forum,

I apologize in advance to my bad English, English is not my native language.

So isn't my native language either - but your English is very good (even better than that of some native speakers in other forums .. :-)

You know this forum is not doing the coding for you. We give assistance and advice based on a broad range of experience which a lot of people have.

First remarks on your project description: - It is pretty well organized - I understood most of the desired features - If you use abbreviations or device names, such as PB, SSR, 3231 it would be good to put a short hint in brackets, to make it more readable first start) - I had to google some of your abbreviations to make sure I could really understand the context (as I am not using PB, 3231 and SSR's yet)

You say, you will use the Arduino pro mini, but before you talked about the "PB" - what will you use then? Imho the PB is not yet supported by the IDE.

That said, pls clarify the following:

If the time is 14:00:02 (2 seconds after 2 pm), then strike.

-> but if the Arduino code is capable to "detect" 14:00:00 it should strike then?

I do not need to change the time when these will be active.

What does that mean exactly?

How many clocks are involved - just one? If so, you will need only 1 SSR, right?

zivkovicm: If the time is 13:00:00 (exactly 1 pm), then strike.

Sorry, I don't understand the meaning of "strike" in that sentence and what the Arduino shall do when a strike is to be done.

Is the "strike" possibly playing a pre-recorded audio sound, amplified with an audio amplifier and played through speakers?

Or is "strike" possibly moving ghe clapper of a bell, which then is hammering against a bell creating bell sound by clapping a clapper against a bell?

Or what is "strike"? Describe in detail! I don't know and English is NOT my mother language, either.

@rpt007

PB in my case is normally open Push Button, that will be connected to one input pin. I need only one output pin. He will activate solid state relay (and ssr will activate solenoid).

I need to define all times when will be solenoid active.

@jurs

Solenoid is hammering against a bell.

Strike is one hit only. Output pin is high for a 100-250ms.

zivkovicm:
@jurs

Solenoid is hammering against a bell.

Strike is one hit only. Output pin is high for a 100-250ms.

The output pin triggering this hardware yas ou mentioned it in your initial posting?

>At the output I would use  SSR.

The relay to switch AC voltage or DC voltage?

Please be aware, that almost all SSRs can switch AC voltage only and NOT DC.

Using 1602 text LCD, RTC, push button and SSR in the same sketch with an Arduino-Board should be no problem. Can be done with an UNO.

As for electronics (hardware) concerns to me is not a problem. SSR will switch AC. I made model at my home, and i'm using PLC (siemens S7-200) to run it. It is working good, but my PLC have 14 inputs and 10 outputs(will be a lot of unused DI/DO).

Programming Arduino is a problem (for me). I'm reading all guides that i could find for programing. Learning is just started:).

I'll order now RTC(DS3231). I have 16x2 lcd. I have arduino Pro Mini.

zivkovicm: Programming Arduino is a problem (for me). I'm reading all guides that i could find for programing. Learning is just started:).

I'll order now RTC(DS3231). I have 16x2 lcd. I have arduino Pro Mini.

Selected hardware sounds reasonable. Just continue in this thread and write about any problems you run into while programming and I can have a look. 1602 LCD and DS3231 are well known to me. When adding a mechanical rotary encoder you even could have date and time setting on-the-fly.

I found something like this https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=358129.135

This is something similar..

jurs: When adding a mechanical rotary encoder you even could have date and time setting on-the-fly.

You don't even need a rotary encoder.

I've been working on something, here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=408565.msg2817080#msg2817080 All you need is two push buttons.

zivkovicm: I found something like this https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=358129.135

This is something similar..

Yes, it is something similar, but also a bit different from what you want. I've made the programming for that by the end of last year, Possibly it can be adapted to what you want.

I did something like this in txt.
Found Digital clock project, and change it a little…

I do not have time update during timed input 10.

It is simple and big…

And this is working:).

Hardware is pro mini,Lcd,Ds3231 and some buttons…

All re"coding" is welcome.

I’ll try to make it smaller.

Novi tekstualni dokument (3).txt (58.5 KB)

New one :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sat_za_crkvu_prevedeno.ino (57.2 KB)