Circuit Power Question

Hello,

I am trying to control a pump and two servos as well as some other smaller components in a circuit. My rough plan for the power electronics is attached bellow (go easy on me I am a mechanical guy). I recently found out that I can not power arduino off of 6V, so I know I will have to tweak this circuit regardless.

Anyway, I came across a battery that might be able to supply the power I need. It’s a 12V 6A max power supply. The really interesting thing about this battery is it has both a 12V output as well as a 5V USB output.

What I am wondering is can I supply 12V to my circuit using the 12V output to drive my big components, while at the same time using the 5V USB output to power Ardunio? If I maintain common ground will this work?

Thanks in advance

circuit.JPG

Jjfern:
Hello,

I am trying to control a pump and two servos as well as some other smaller components in a circuit. My rough plan for the power electronics is attached bellow (go easy on me I am a mechanical guy). I recently found out that I can not power arduino off of 6V, so I know I will have to tweak this circuit regardless.

Anyway, I came across a battery that might be able to supply the power I need. It's a 12V 6A max power supply. The really interesting thing about this battery is it has both a 12V output as well as a 5V USB output.

What I am wondering is can I supply 12V to my circuit using the 12V output to drive my big components, while at the same time using the 5V USB output to power Ardunio? If I maintain common ground will this work?

Thanks in advance

That depends entirely on the battery thing you came across. Is it some secret device? Don't you think the answer to your question depends on the specifications of the power source?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
That depends entirely on the battery thing you came across. Is it some secret device? Don't you think the answer to your question depends on the specifications of the power source?

Paul

No secret lol The link to the batter is down below

The drawing you provided looks very reasonable to me. You can, and really have to, connect the grounds. The only concern that I would have is the servos, will you need any higher current Drive circuit or do the servos that you have chosen accept a low level (Arduino) input directly?

Sir Michael

SirMichael:
The drawing you provided looks very reasonable to me. You can, and really have to, connect the grounds. The only concern that I would have is the servos, will you need any higher current Drive circuit or do the servos that you have chosen accept a low level (Arduino) input directly?

Sir Michael

Thanks for the reply!

Honestly I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

The servos will be powered by the 12 V battery being stepped down to 6 V by the Boost Converter. They need roughly 1.5 A each to supply the torque I need for my project (this is why I'm considering the battery mentioned above as it can output 12 V @ 6 A). Arduino will supply the logic signals that will be used to map the servos.

As per post #3.

What logic levels does the 12V servos work at?

Jjfern:
Thanks for the reply!

Honestly I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

The servos will be powered by the 12 V battery being stepped down to 6 V by the Boost Converter. They need roughly 1.5 A each to supply the torque I need for my project (this is why I'm considering the battery mentioned above as it can output 12 V @ 6 A). Arduino will supply the logic signals that will be used to map the servos.

Be sure and monitor the tapped voltages on the battery as the peak demand on 12 volts will also reduce the various tapped voltages proportionately.

Paul

As I asked earlier:
“The only concern that I would have is the servo”

Your schematic shows both servo’s being activated by the Arduino pins pulling the Servo low side down to ground. The Arduino pins can only sink about 20 milliamps of current to ground.

Is your servo just the motor, or is it a motor and drive circuit that can be activated by the Arduino pin? If it’s just a motor, you’ll need to build or buy control circuit to sink the current from the Servo and isolate the Arduino from the higher voltage. You CANNOT apply any voltage greater than 5v to the Arduino pins, even when the Servo is off.

Sir Michael

Jjfern:
Hello,

Anyway, I came across a battery that might be able to supply the power I need. It's a 12V 6A max power supply. The really interesting thing about this battery is it has both a 12V output as well as a 5V USB output.

Thanks in advance

Where does your project be used for? I checked that battery supply be used at the same time to power one device that needs 5v and one that uses 12v, there are many such protable power supply on the market. Another thing to consider is battery capacity working time. How long do you need? If you need more time, you just have to buy a larger capacity Power bank, like this one Powkey Portable power station 42000mAh 2 AC Ports, 4 USB Ports 5V/3.1A(max), 2 DC Port 12V/10A(Max), the testing revealed that the portable charger can charge a Smartphone up to about 20 times, it depends entirely on your need. Hope can help you.

Hello, for a prosthetic arm project that uses 5 servo motors ( tower pro SG90 micro servo 5V operating voltage) i have a 12V 2400mah Li-ion battery how can i use it to power all 5 servo motor. Can i use the same battery to power all my servos along with my arduino uno board or i need a seperate power supply for it ? If in case i can use the same battery how long would it last?
Someone kindly reply ASAP its quite urgent.
thankyou.

Some DC-DC converters - cheap LM2596 one's can be used, but won't handle enough current for all servos, you'll need several (don't parallel them though). Perhaps one converter per two servos?