circuit relay help

Hello
New to the arduino world and could use some help. What im trying to do is on pressing a button turn on an old retro console (this one is original xbox but my end design would be 8 different consoles and 8 relays). So with the relay my initial through was to cut the power cord up (only 2 prong) and wire that into the relay, but im not sure how. Please see pics. Would it work if i just put both blue into the center port and both brown into the upper one (so it is only active when the relay switches)? Or am i approaching this wrong?

thanks!

IMG_0150

I think you should look at something like this.

Would it work if i just put both blue into the center port and both brown into the upper one

It would work if your aim was to cause an explosion and a fire, otherwise forget playing with mains until you acquire a clue about what you are doing.

What you suggest would simply short out the mains.

Normally you would want to switch the live (=hot) wire, leaving the neutral unaffected. Now normally brown is live and blue is neutral - until you insert your two-pronged power plug the other way around. Then blue is live and brown is neutral.

For your suggested way: actually I don't expect you'd get an explosion and a fire. Maybe a good spark, but immediately after your circuit breaker should come in play and protect you from further damage. Don't try this out, it's generally a bad thing when a circuit breaker trips.

The safest is a ready-made set of switched sockets as linked to in #1. Safe, convenient, looks good, and it's not expensive at all (especially considering it's Adafruit).

That link does look like what i want, thanks!