CircuitPython

Anybody here up-to-speed on CircuitPython? I mean REALLY up to speed. Adafruit has upgraded many of their smaller boards from ATtiny chips to MUCH more powerful ATSAMD21 chips with CircuitPython on-board. Claims to eliminate need for IDE or boot-loader when programming, can program using a Chromebook, and many more wonders. They also say it is easier for beginners to learn how to program. Yeah, that's easy to say. Only problem is, all their tutorials seem to be written for those who already know C++ or Arduino programming.

OLDokasional

Well, that is probably true about Python being easier for beginners.

OLDokasional:
Claims to eliminate need for IDE or boot-loader when programming,

I find this extremely difficult to believe. Python is coded in IDEs like any other language. What do you mean by no boot-loader when programming?

I'm fairly experienced with Python - do you have a question/problem?

It doesn't need an IDE because you can enter python directly from the serial line, but in general that's not what you want to do.

It still uses a bootloader (well, I guess you can think of the CircuitPython code itself as a bootloader for the user's Python code...)

There are a lot of online classes that cover the Python basics; generally much better than the online C/C++ classes I've seen. I rather like: https://online.umich.edu/courses/programming-for-everybody-getting-started-with-python/

OLDokasional:
Anybody here up-to-speed on CircuitPython?

This Arduino Forum seems a strange place to expect that - the Arduino IDE uses C++ for programming.

CircutPython seems to be a concoction by AdaFruit derived from MicroPython so maybe AdaFruit has a Forum.

Or else read up about MicroPython on its website

...R

Hi! I’m the lead for CircuitPython and paid by Adafruit to work on it. Just wanted to chime in and answer your questions. Adafruit does have a forum for CircuitPython here: Adafruit customer service forums • View forum - Adafruit CircuitPython and MicroPython

OLDokasional:
Claims to eliminate need for IDE or boot-loader when programming, can program using a Chromebook, and many more wonders.

No specific IDE is needed because the Python source files are stored directly on the device and are editable over USB mass storage by any text or code editor. When the file is written, CircuitPython will automatically reload and run the newer version of the code. We do recommend the Mu editor for beginners because it’s serial integration makes seeing the serial output easier.

The bootloader we use works over serial like the Arduino IDE expects but also presents a fake mass storage device like a thumb drive that flashes the device when a .uf2 file is copied to it. CircuitPython works with Chromebooks because you can do everything by copying files to a mass storage device or editing them directly.

OLDokasional:
They also say it is easier for beginners to learn how to program. Yeah, that’s easy to say.

Python is a very common language for beginners because it uses fewer symbols and manages memory for you. CircuitPython’s workflow centered around the “thumb drive” experience is something most folks already know and understand too.

OLDokasional:
Only problem is, all their tutorials seem to be written for those who already know C++ or Arduino programming.

I hope this isn’t the case. This guide is the goto for getting setup with CircuitPython: Welcome To CircuitPython | Welcome to CircuitPython! | Adafruit Learning System and this one covers the hardware Python APIs: CircuitPython Essentials | CircuitPython Essentials | Adafruit Learning System

Power_Broker:
I find this extremely difficult to believe. Python is coded in IDEs like any other language. What do you mean by no boot-loader when programming?

I think this is referring to the ability to edit user code over the mass storage device.