Clap ON/OFF s/w

Hello Everyone,

I need some help regarding driving the motor through Clap ON/OFF s/w. The circuit is attached to this.The o/p LED turns ON with 1st clap and turns OFF with the second. It works fine when I have LED as the o/p. But when I am trying to drive a motor it gets turned off before receiving the second sound.

It will be great if some one can help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance.

That chip can't drive a motor directly (maybe a tiny tiny one) so you need to amplify that with a transistor. (Nor should you drive that led without resistor....) Also, add a diode across the motor (cathode to positive) as a flyback diode to protect the circuit from flyback voltages of the motor.

septillion:
That chip can't drive a motor directly (maybe a tiny tiny one) so you need to amplify that with a transistor. (Nor should you drive that led without resistor....) Also, add a diode across the motor (cathode to positive) as a flyback diode to protect the circuit from flyback voltages of the motor.

Thanks for the response.

I have connected a driver IC ULN2803 to drive the motor but still having the same problem.It drives but doesn't keeps it on to receive the second clap. I have connected the diode too.

What is "the motor"? How much current does it take? What power supply are you using to drive it?

Problems like this can be caused by trying to drive a motor or servo from a weak battery, like a typical rectangular 9V.

Steve

slipstick:
What is "the motor"? How much current does it take? What power supply are you using to drive it?

Problems like this can be caused by trying to drive a motor or servo from a weak battery, like a typical rectangular 9V.

Steve

Thank you for getting me back. The details are as follows:

Motor: Bo1 , 100 rpm DC geared 6v Motor,
Current : Maximum load current :200mA
Supply: using 5v regulated power supply(7805)through 9v battery

Aparna80E:
through 9v battery

There's your problem... 9V batteries are absolute terrible at providing current.

septillion:
There's your problem... 9V batteries are absolute terrible at providing current.

Now I tried using an 5v adapter.Having same issues.

Can you draw how you connected it all now?

septillion:
Can you draw how you connected it all now?

The circuit is attached. Thanks a lot.

cct motor.jpg

The right part is a bit fuzzy :confused:

Bit one thing I miss is decoupling capacitors. All IC's like to have a 100nF ceramic over the power pins as close as possible to the IC.

septillion:
The right part is a bit fuzzy :confused:

Bit one thing I miss is decoupling capacitors. All IC's like to have a 100nF ceramic over the power pins as close as possible to the IC.

Thanks for your help. Putting the decoupling Capacitor really worked.Thank you very much.

Aparna80E:
Thank you for getting me back. The details are as follows:

Motor: Bo1 , 100 rpm DC geared 6v Motor,
Current : Maximum load current :200mA
Supply: using 5v regulated power supply(7805)through 9v battery

200mA normal load suggests 1 to 2A stall current, I'd suggest a power source that can handle
that sort of peak current, such as a NiMH pack. Generally its a poor idea to share power
between motors and microcontrollers - the latter need clean dependable supply without
drop-outs or spikes, whereas motors are good and generating them.