[clarified] Hall effect datasheet question

Hi,

I'm searching for a cheap, i.e. low precision, hall effect sensor to experiment with current sensing. I came across this hall effect sensor. What I don't understand is the "Features" statement "4.5 V to 6 V Operation" (p.1) in comparison to "Operating voltage VCC Operating 3.0 6.5 V" (page 3, table at top).

Is it possible to use this hall effect sensor with 3.3V to detect current in an AC and DC line, respectively?

Thanks & best

There is a graph supporting the 4.5V low limit. I’d find another chip if you need 3V Ucc

Is it possible to use this hall effect sensor with 3.3V to detect current in an AC and DC line, respectively?

No… The magnetic field is probably to weak to be detected with this kind of sensor.

look at “ACS712” , which is built for the task

Thanks for the reply. I read the datasheet of ACS712, page 4 first table: "Supply Voltage VCC 4.5 5.0 5.5 V" So, that one is out, too, right?

Minimum operating voltage of 3.0V means it should work at 3.3V.

Almost always the first page of datasheets is written by marketing and the rest is written by engineering so don't take anything on the first page as fact. Usually the first page claims wider operating range and typical values under ideal conditions rather than worst case or off temperature. In this case I think they just screwed up.

sdturner: Almost always the first page of datasheets is written by marketing and the rest is written by engineering so don't take anything on the first page as fact.

Thank you for the insights, didn't know about that.

Best