Clock Design Suggestions

I am going to make some NeoPixel clocks, something like this. Any shape change suggestions that can be offered?

Edit perhaps a square base for more stability.

|374x500

Round face? Base with wider center of gravity (legs that spread out, think office chair, if not a solid area) would be more stable, or make the base rectangle really heavy.

60 neopixels (WS2812B) at 60mA full bright = 3.6A. Lot of current. Luckily, 5V 4A wallwarts are readily available.

Thanks CR Wider base would be better.

Leaning away from round as it is more difficult to make the enclosure. Square is a bit more futuristic? Maybe not. Planned to have every 5th led bright pink, hour hand red, minute hand blue, second hand white. All other pixels off. When minute is on the hour hand pixel will be green. Every hour (or 1/2 hour), all pixels go through a rainbow wash.

16 on a leg. Doesn't work out to show precise minutes / seconds. Will you be shading or dividing minutes / seconds by 16*4-2 = 62?

@CB

16 on a leg. Doesn't work out to show precise minutes / seconds. Will you be shading or dividing minutes / seconds by 16*4-2 = 62?

I am missing what you are saying. There are 60 LEDs are in the circumference. ( it will be made up of 4 PCB lengths each having 15 LEDs). |498x500

If you have the space why not mount it on an X shaped base, almost like a partial reflection of the lower part of the clock?

@dannable
Interesting.
I am not married to a square base, kind of boring.
Thanks, I will consider this.

LarryD: @CB I am missing what you are saying. There are 60 LEDs are in the circumference. ( it will be made up of 4 PCB lengths each having 15 LEDs).

Ugh. Sorry about that.

Now turn the base through 45 degrees?

I know you want a simple clock, but with that shape, you could incorporate 8x8 matrices around it instead. This could allow you to have words as well as patterns.

Yes, turned 45 degrees, then cut ends of legs to be parallel with the clock face.

@HazardsMind
Yes that was an option.
I picked up 1000 WS2812Bs and maybe that will be a second version.

@dannable and CR
It looks better:

Maybe rotating motor control (NOT) ;)

Yes, now cut legs ends to be parallel with faces so it's not quite so deep and doesn't hang off the mantle as much.

Pushing my construction abilities ;) |347x500

Looks sharp tho - futuristic looking.