Clock/Timer Locations

Hi Everyone,

I was doing some reading and it seems that you can change the pin locations the internal clock/timer are located on. For example Port B, and Port D on the 1284 have two timers, I'd like to move those to different pins. The reason I want to do this is because I'm building a all SMD board that I will be using the 1284 on and I wanted it to be 100% r3 compatible. Sadly with the clock/timers in their default location using optiboot code it doesn't allow me to have PWM on external int 1 and MOSI (pins d3, and D11).

If it's not possible then I think I'd like to use one of the pin's to control the ports physically attached to D3 & D11 to switch between PWM and other functionality compatibility. Obviously since I would be switching the physical attachment of the chip to different header locations this would mess up pin numbers, so I could have an alternative firmware. Thoughts on accomplishing this?

jbaum81:
I was doing some reading and it seems that you can change the pin locations the internal clock/timer are located on. For example Port B, and Port D on the 1284 have two timers, I’d like to move those to different pins.

Where did you read that?

You know, I thought about that after I submitted it.. I was skimming through the spec sheet and understanding about every 5th word and digging through random posts.

I suspect I may have misinterpreted the use of the function in pins_arduino.h that specifies if it is or is not a PWM port.. I'm assuming the clocks/timers are hard wired to a specific pin on the specific port since I'm not really able to find anything that specifically says you can move them.

Pardon my ignorance I was tired and had been on 'tweaking out' on this for nearly all night.

jbaum81: I'm assuming the clocks/timers are hard wired to a specific pin on the specific port since I'm not really able to find anything that specifically says you can move them.

Correct.

Pardon my ignorance I was tired and had been on 'tweaking out' on this for nearly all night.

Granted.

The reason I want to do this is because I'm building a all SMD board that I will be using the 1284 on and I wanted it to be 100% r3 compatible.

On this forum there has been a great deal of discussion about the 1284 and shield compatibility. I know CrossRoads has often been involved in the discussion. I suggest searching the forum; hopefully this will help...

https://www.google.com/search?q=crossroads+1284+644+shield+site:arduino.cc%2Fforum

If you can't find what you need, ask again.