Clock with 3 LED strips

New guy here to all this Arduino world, with some questions.
I'm sure they've been answered already somewhere, if so, please point me to the right URL.

I have this idea: 3 strips of LED lights, 60 LED s each.
First strip - each LED lights up every second, one LED at a time.
Second strip - each LED lights up every minute.
Third strip - each LED lights up every 12 minutes.
These 3 strips would be in concentric circles making a face of the clock.
In short, if you look at the clock, those would be the points where 'second' hand points to, 'minute' hand points to, and 'hour' hand points to.

And now additional requirements:
All of this I want to be powered by the battery. I would like to have this clock on the wall with no wires hanging. Is this possible?

Also, does the Arduino have a build-in internal clock that I can read and display current time?

---- Andy

OK, this is usually done with these WS2812 LEDs operating at 5 V.

They are already configured to a circle of 60 LEDs and each LED shows whatever colour you wish, Generally you use one colour to show the "Hour" hand, while an arc extending from 12 o'clock show the minute and another colour steps around as the second "hand."

andrzejek:
And now additional requirements:
All of this I want to be powered by the battery. I would like to have this clock on the wall with no wires hanging. Is this possible?

No. LEDs require significant power to operate.

andrzejek:
Also, does the Arduino have a build-in internal clock that I can read and display current time?

No. You need to add a RTC module to the Nano or Pro Mini. (The UNO is not very practical for such projects!)

You could minimise the consumption of the circuit by using an Arduino Pro Mini and low power sleep modes, and having only the minimum number of leds on to display the time, at a lower brightness, so only 3 leds at 50% brightness. The Pro Micro would probably draw less than 5mA, and the 3 lit leds 10mA each. So that's a total of around 35mA. Now the bad news. Ws2812 and similar leds consume about 1mA each even when not lit. So that's another 60mA per circle! Even with one circle, the circuit would consume almost 100mA. A 2,500mAh capacity battery would last 25 hours. You would be replacing the battery daily.

A more practical idea might be to make your 3 circles from single colour leds. You can choose different colours for each circle. Use a max7219 chip to drive each circle. With only 3 leds lit, you might get the circuit down to 10mA, which means a 2,500mAh battery would last 10 days.

Looks complicated to me, too bad :frowning:
Idea sounds so simple...

Perfectly do-able except for the part that you cannot practically run an illuminated clock on battery power. :roll_eyes: