Clone arduino not detected

I recently bought a clone arduino, but it's not being detected by my desktop or laptop. I have tried different ports, but it still doesn't show up in the IDE or device management. Help please?

Hi,

what OS are you using?

Have you tried a different USB cable and / or a different PC?

Peter

I'm using windows 10, and I have not tried another cable but i have tried two different PCs. No change whatsoever. The LED on the board blinks rapidly when plugged in but the board isn't detected.

Windows 10 does not always show the COM & LPT ports so you might have to ENABLE the SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.

Also check for any device that may have some form of warning.

Clones often use CP2102 or CH340/341 drivers.
That said some of the newer true Arduino boards also use the CP2102 so that driver may start to get bundled properly in the near future.

Bob.

ballscrewbob:
Windows 10 does not always show the COM & LPT ports so you might have to ENABLE the SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.

Also check for any device that may have some form of warning.

Clones often use CP2102 or CH340/341 drivers.
That said some of the newer true Arduino boards also use the CP2102 so that driver may start to get bundled properly in the near future.

Bob.

I've clicked show hidden devices and nothing new shows up. Only COM1 and LPT1 are there. In the tutorial I think it specifies that COM3 needs to show up. I have attached a picture of my board, but i dunno if it uses CP2102 or CH340/CH341.

Picture: http://prntscr.com/pousrt

Wonder if you could please READ THIS then post the picture accordingly as many people will not jump to sites to look at a picture.

Board don't always need to be COM 3 so long as they show a COM port and you use that number in the IDE.

With over 14 boards LIVE I can assure you only having COM 3 would be a nightmare to deal with LOL.

Bob.

well it doesn't show a port number at all. COM1 is there before and after plugging in

jotachin's picture:

detail:
jotachins_pic_detail.png

looks like ATmega16U2

jotachins_pic_detail.png

It does indeed look like a better clone.
However we know the 16U is prone to damage when abused in any way.
If it was abuse then only jotachin would know.
Shorted power rails, shorted I/O pins, overvoltage on pins etc etc.

Bob.

But I bought the board the same day I created this forum post. I've tried multiple computers and cables and nothing has worked. Is it possible I'm missing some required software or drivers?

If it does not show anywhere in the hardware list for your computer (NOT tablet or similar) then the chances are strong that you have a defective board.

Add that to the fact that you have tried multiple computers and cables and I would probably be wanting to return it.

BTW if it has protective foam still on it you should have removed that by now as that in itself can stop a board working as it is only for shipping purposes.

Bob.