CMOS LASER MODUAL+AMP HIJACKING

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

I will try to explain what I am trying to do so bare with me.

About 15 years ago whilst working with CNC Routing machines, there was a bolt on product that used a laser that if you programmed a zig-zag pattern over, say a woodern carving, it would record the X-Y-Z values which at the time was cutting edge, this now being a simple 3d scanner. these are no longer available on the market.

A few years ago I was given a Laser modual, and it was dumped in the garage, for a later date, I have now found it again and now wish to re cycle this item.

Un fortunatly in my research of this product a laser modual + amplifier, it was designed to reconnise the distance between x2 set distances programed via the amp, and output a signal out from the amp if the laser distance past those values.

But, in my discusions with the manufacture of the modual ( understanably not helpful at all ), there is a form of digital signal created from the modual sent to the amp that is giving a continuous distance just like a digital tape measure, and this can be seen on the screen of the amp as you move the modual back and forth.

I have Hijacked the X6 wire connections between the modual and amp giving me branches to try and capture any signal being sent to amp.

I have tried my best in connecting this via a UNO board looking for some form of voltage change, digital signal ( using basic scripts on here ) between the 6 wires, looking for the diffirences at set distances of the laser. with no readable results which has lead me to now write this.

YES, this is way, way out of my known universe, as I am really only mechanically minded.

Can anybody explain how to go about finding some thing being send to the amp????.
throwing in the bin is not an option, at this time, and also using any of the so called VL53l0X tof sensors is out, as I discovered looking at the IR beam via an ip camera it has a 25mm dia beam 50mm away from the modual. ideal to detect walls. but not for scanning, like I need to.

Thanks for reading.

Upgrade your test bench with an oscilloscope and proper probe. A new one is not necessary. Visually is the only way you will learn if there is a signal and what it might be.

Paul

You state it is a Laser modual, There have been a lot of different ones over the years. You might consider a picture, make and model if available. A scope is the best bet to validate that the signals are there. If you do have signals something like the Saleae logic analyzer will help figuring out what the code is. This is based on the idea that it is a digital signal.