Cnc shield driver questions

I picked up a Cnc shield from Arduino CNC Shield – 100% GRBL Compatable | Protoneer.co.nz.

Is there any way I can use it with different stepper drivers that aren't mounted on the board?
I need to move steppers that need more power then they can handle .

Usually “bigger” motors require a “bigger” driver. Can you get the current & voltage ratings for the driver?

Driver ratings are the maximum, so for example you can use a 10 Amp driver motor with a 4 Amp motor, and you can use a 36V driver with a 12V motor and a 12V power supply. (And, if you run a 15 Amp motor from a 10A driver, you’ll burn-out the driver.)

i understand my driver can be bigger then the motor .
I havnt full spec the motors out yet.
I'm starting with just simple men's 17's.
To make sure I know what I'm doing . I'd rather destroy a 15$ stepper vs a 100$+ stepper.

What I was asking was can I just plug wires into the sockets in the driver slot on the Cnc board and run them to a driver not mounted on the board?

You may find some useful stuff in Stepper Motor Basics

...R

Robin2:
You may find some useful stuff in Stepper Motor Basics

...R

Thanks for the link but it did t really answer my question .
Most likely when I scale my Cnc machine from a small desktop machine I'll be using bigger motors .
Some thing in the nema 34 size using 5-10a range .

The Cnc shield can use the a4988 driver and one other but they can't handle the amps I'll need for when I convert my knee mill.

So I want to know if I can just stick some DuPont connectors in the sockets on the Cnc shield where the a4988 driver would plug into .
Then have those leads go to a stepper driver that can handle my motor.

Warwickben:
So I want to know if I can just stick some DuPont connectors in the sockets on the Cnc shield where the a4988 driver would plug into .
Then have those leads go to a stepper driver that can handle my motor.

You could probably do that to pick up the step and direction signals from the Arduino but I would not recommend feeding the higher motor current through the CNC shield unless you can find evidence that it has been designed for it. If the shield is designed for the higher currents perhaps you could make a small interface circuit board with the same footprint as an A4988.

But all this inevitably raises the question - why bother with the shield? It is mainly just a convenient way to connect A4988s.

...R

Robin2:
You could probably do that to pick up the step and direction signals from the Arduino but I would not recommend feeding the higher motor current through the CNC shield unless you can find evidence that it has been designed for it. If the shield is designed for the higher currents perhaps you could make a small interface circuit board with the same footprint as an A4988.

But all this inevitably raises the question - why bother with the shield? It is mainly just a convenient way to connect A4988s.

…R

I was thinking of using the shield still for all the other connection points . Like the limit switches , e stop etc. mainly since it’s labeled for what the pins do vs just numbers . I figured if say one of my limit switches breaks I can just look at the board and know what wires to pull .
Also if I wanted to change to a different arduino for what ever reason , I could just pop the shield off vs having to rewire the whole thing .