CNC Shield V3 External Stepper Question

I am trying to connect TB6600 steppers to the CNC shield. I have 4 NEMA 23 425oz motors. Do the A998 Steppers have to installed top use the step/dir pinouts on the side of the shield? I am completely new to arduino and cannot find anything showing how to use these pinouts with external steppers drivers.

Do the A998 Steppers have to installed top use the step/dir pinouts on the side of the shield?

Come again? In English not gobbledegook this time.

ric812: I am trying to connect TB6600 steppers to the CNC shield. I have 4 NEMA 23 425oz motors. Do the A998 Steppers have to installed top use the step/dir pinouts on the side of the shield?

If you want to use a TB6600 stepper driver for a motor then you should NOT install the A4988 driver for that motor.

I don't know if the shield has appropriate connections for a TB6600 because I am not familiar with the TB6600. Also I don't know if the circuits on the shield can handle the higher currents that a TB6600 would be capable of controlling. It would probably be best not to run the TB6600 motor power (in or out) through the shield.

Actually the shield does not care what is the function of any particular pin - it is just a convenient conduit for the Arduino signals so the important thing is that the Arduino software is configured to send the proper signals to the proper TB6600 pins.

...R

To the left of the c1 driver socket, right below the reset button there are a set of yellow/blue pinout that start en/grd, x.step/dir, etc. I am just trying to get the step and dir to the tb6600.

I am sorry if my explanation is not clear but I am completely new to arduino. I am using the shield because I could not find a way to pinout 4 stepper motors from the arduino uno directly, which is what I am using. The external stepper drivers are being powered separately.

20171118_181020_crop_489x489.jpg

Image from Reply #3 so we don’t have to download it. See this Image Guide

b48d54624d9879cb60c32cc6bf404242d228d9dd.jpg

…R

ric812: To the left of the c1 driver socket, right below the reset button there are a set of yellow/blue pinout that start en/grd, x.step/dir, etc. I am just trying to get the step and dir to the tb6600.

Those pins seem to be clearly labeled. As well as step and direction you will need a GND connection.

Where does the TB6600 get its 5v power from? Some drivers generate it from the motor power supply, others need a separate 5v supply.

...R

This is the driver I am using.

Driverhttp://r.ebay.com/c9WXoM

It uses an external power supply. I am using the arduino for control only. I am attempting to replace a linuxcnc setup with arduino.

What firmware are you going to use or are you going to write your own? If you are going to use a firmware like Grbl or Marlin, the pins for step, dir, enable and etc are set in the firmware. The pin assignments will be in a configuration file.

ric812: This is the driver I am using.

Driverhttp://r.ebay.com/c9WXoM

I don't see any problem connecting that driver to the board pictured in Reply #4

...R

I am using GRBL with bCNC on a Linux laptop.