Code 10 error Arduino Uno R3 Windows 7 x64

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Arduino. I have now bought 2 of them, and a friend, who I gave the first one to, says he plugged his in and it just installed, and he's using the same computer I am (same kind, windows 7 x64 Dell blah blah).

When I plug the arduino in, it comes up with the "this device cannot install" error message. I go to install the driver, the arduino shows up as a USB 2.0 Serial under device manager. I have picked literally every folder in the list, and none of them come up with anything, in that windows cannot find the driver.

Out of frustration in this point in the installation (I've done this more than 5 times), I go to manually install, choose the port and install both the Arduino LLC and the Arduino SrL driver for the Arduino Uno. It acts like it installed, I get an arduino com port, and when I click on the yellow exclamation point it says "Code 10: the device cannot start". I have tried another Arduino. I have tried a different cable, different port, different computer, and none of it is working. I get the same thing each time. I'm frustrated at this point... I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver all to no avail. What is the issue here?

Arduino.jpg

Also I wanted to note that before I was simply pointed back to the main page, I've looked around, tried some things, uninstalled and reinstalled the arduino nightfly drivers, tried different cables, different ports, extenders, no extenders, I get a red light by the "L" and a green light by "ON"... If I glossed over something I should try I'm open to it of course

Llewndyn:
Also I wanted to note that before I was simply pointed back to the main page, I've looked around, tried some things, uninstalled and reinstalled the arduino nightfly drivers, tried different cables, different ports, extenders, no extenders, I get a red light by the "L" and a green light by "ON"... If I glossed over something I should try I'm open to it of course

The highlighted above suggests to me that you have a clone board and so need drivers that are not included in the standard Arduino installation. Have a look at the chip closest to the USB port (the usb-serial adapter) and let me know what is written on it.

Thanks for responding, I see a tiny chip that says AMS1117 and then 50 H1436 under it, then there is a chip behind it that says cH340G and 202685420… attaching picture just in case I completely missed it

That's a clone, illegally calling itself an Uno.
Uses Ch430G for USB/Serial interface.
AMS1117 50 is the 5V regulator.

Well, crap. Should I toss this one and where can I get a real one? I bought this one and the other one (which was identical) off of ebay, so I'd rather just get a real live one if I can't make this one work... Or are there drivers for these? I got it in an anti static bag with no instructions so I'm not even sure where to get a driver that actually works but I really want to see what this baby can do (or mimic doing, as it were)

You can get the drivers for that chip from this link : CH341.

Good luck.

That worked, thanks so much, and I bought a "licensed" Arduino Uno the instant I realized I was using a knockoff, here's to making something that has a light that blinks on and off! (I set the bar low)

Thanks again, I appreciate it.