code comments? (noob question)

I am very new to Arduino and I am trying to learn the Arduino ways.

I have a lot of code experience and I have worked with embedded stuff in the past. I am looking forward to playing with the Arduino (trying to think up that killer project... :))

Anyway, I've been poking through the code and in my experience .h files are where you comment function APIs. Usually tools are used to extract the comments and build the API documentation sets.

Is there a reason function comments are lacking from the core .h files?

Thanks, Tim

Probably because they're so simple and self-explanatory.

My understanding is the Arduino was meant for folks who aren't experienced programmers (artists and tinkerers). The Arduino developers went to great lengths to hide what happens behind the IDE. I assume the Arduino developers didn't expect too many people to look inside the header files. They probably thought comments in header files would be a waste of time and instead put documentation on the web site.

We just never set up the infrastructure to extract the documentation from the code, so the two have been maintained separately. We use a (privately-editable) wiki for the reference, which makes it easy for us to update on-the-fly.

Good answers, Thanks! Tim