Code does not upload to board

When using the Arduino Micro board which I have, I am not able to upload the simple blink script to the board.

I am using the script found under (File ->Examples->01.Basic->Blink), but when I run the script by going to Upload using Programmer

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Micro"

Sketch uses 3958 bytes (13%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 149 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2411 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cstk500v2 -Pusb -Uflash:w:C:\Users\BBRAML~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_262160/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Also is there anyway that Arduino Micro will take user input from a keyboard on a laptop?

Why are you using Upload Using Programmer?

Do you have an ISP programmer connected to your Micro, or is it just connected to your computer with a USB cable as usual?

I have this connected directly to the USB port through the micro usb cable. About 3 months ago it worked with no issues, and then stopped working. I asked another person to try code and upload it it worked without an issues.

I am using the installer since the cloud based service is only limited to 100 uploads. BTW I have tried the cloud based service and still did not get it to work.

If it matters when I am using the cloud, the lights on the arduino board do not blink. If use the just upload then I get red text, but it tells me done uploading.

golffor1:
I have this connected directly to the USB port through the micro usb cable. About 3 months ago it worked with no issues, and then stopped working.

You must be misremembering. Upload Using Programmer never would have worked with the board connected directly via the USB port. You can only do "Upload Using Programmer" with an ISP programmer. With the board connected via the USB port, you need to do a standard Upload.

golffor1:
I asked another person to try code and upload it it worked without an issues.

They did a standard Upload, not Upload Using Programmer.

golffor1:
BTW I have tried the cloud based service and still did not get it to work.

Please provide a detailed description of what you mean by "did not get it to work"

golffor1:
If use the just upload then I get red text, but it tells me done uploading.

OK, so everything is working perfectly then. Enjoy!

Sorry for giving confusing information:

When I click on the compile button and then the upload button the Arduino 1.8.12 program seems to upload fine but the blink code does not seem to run on my Arduino Micro board. When a co-worker used the cloud-based upload it worked fine. The reason I am not using the cloud-based is that I don't want to limit myself to 100 uploads to the board.

My COM Port for my Arduino Micro is Com 4...I noticed in the device manager when I click compile that COM4 shows up then disappears then com 5 shows in its spot, then COM 4 disappears again.

I was wondering if someone could possibly help me?

Is your board really an Arduino Micro?:

Or is it actually the more common Pro Micro?:

As far as the software goes, the two boards can be used interchangeably in the Arduino IDE, but there is a significant difference in the hardware: The Pro Micro does not have an LED attached to pin 13, so it's normal and expected that you will not get a blinking LED after uploading the Blink sketch to this board.

golffor1:
My COM Port for my Arduino Micro is Com 4...I noticed in the device manager when I click compile that COM4 shows up then disappears then com 5 shows in its spot, then COM 4 disappears again.

This is normal and expected. Please ignore it.

Sorry it is a pro-micro but has 2 lights on which is why I thought the blink code should work.

But in the meantime just did a very simple code below:

#include <Keyboard.h>

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
   Keyboard.press(KEY_LEFT_GUI);
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

I have also done the following…reimaged my computer thinking that might fix it, installed the create agent software thinking that might fix it, and neither one seemed to do so. So currently here is what I running:

Arduino Agent 1.8.12
Create agent 1.2.1
Windows 10 64 bit

After a press you have to do a release.

Your computer will remember the press, even if you disconnect the ProMicro.

You will either have to wipe the code by burning the boot loader or add a reset button so you can keep the ProMicro in reset.

Disconnect the ProMicro.
Reset the PC.
Open blink or other innocent sketch.
Connect the ProMicro while keeping it in reset.
Upload the sketch; when the IDE reports the memory usage, release the reset button.

It's important to keep the ProMicro in reset so it does not press the key.

It's highly beneficial to put a safety mechanism in place so you can prevent the ProMicro from sending keys.

Thank you for this information.

I was able to get some code to run and I need to release the button.

I am not sure what I was doing wrong earlier, but all seems to be good for now.

Thank you for all of the help

golffor1:
Sorry it is a pro-micro but has 2 lights on which is why I thought the blink code should work.

These are the lights to indicate receive and transmitting data over Serial. However, you can control these LEDs from your sketch, and they make a reasonable alternative to the "LED_BUILTIN" we usually have connected to pin 13. Although you can use their standard Arduino pin numbers (17 and 30), you might find it more convenient to use the macros Arduino has provided: LED_BUILTIN_RX and LED_BUILTIN_TX.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.