Coding an LED Scoreboard w/ Bluetooth

I’m working on a Bluetooth Scoreboard Project based on Bob Clagett from Iliketomakestuff (Link of project: How to make a large Bluetooth scoreboard | I Like To Make Stuff - YouTube)

I’ve connected the LED’s and now I’ve reached the code portion of the project. But I’m starting to running into a two general issues that I want to check with this community

1. When I planned this project out, I intended to work on coding the number system (Being able to manually change the digits) first and then adding the Bluetooth capabilities later (linking it to an app). On second thought, does it make more sense to tackle both concepts individually or would it be better to work on the simultaneously? Bob was nice enough to link his code on his github (GitHub - iliketomakestuff/BLEScoreBoard: Arduino code to run the project at http://www.iliketomakestuff.com/how-to-make-a-large-bluetooth-scoreboard)

2. The microcontroller that Bob uses is an Arduino 101 which has been discontinued. I’d imagine I could use a different microcontroller with Bluetooth capability (currently looking at SparkFun RED-V RedBoard) but I’m concerned this may affect the code that is provided. His code includes a “” library which seems specific to the Arduino 101 Bluetooth. Do I have to scavenge an Arduino 101 or can I get away with using a different microcontroller and its respective Bluetooth library code?

I’ve done a few Arduino/Rasberry Pi projects but I would still consider myself somewhat of a novice/intermediate, with this to be my most challenging project so far. I’d love to hear any suggestions or recommended resources that can be useful for this Scoreboard project.

Cheers,
Bailey

Here is the first part of the code for reference:

#include <CurieBLE.h>
#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>
#ifdef AVR
#include <avr/power.h>
#endif

#define PIN 3
#define NUMPIXELS 60

Adafruit_NeoPixel pixels = Adafruit_NeoPixel(NUMPIXELS, PIN, NEO_RGB + NEO_KHZ800);
int delayVal = 5000;
uint32_t colorList = { pixels.Color(0,0,255), pixels.Color(255,255,255) };// blue , white

BLEPeripheral blePeripheral; // BLE Peripheral Device (the board you’re programming)
BLEService arduinoService(“6fbee06f-b902-4ac1-bf99-8d4a9b76db8f”); // create service

scoreBoardBT.ino (6.58 KB)

You probably get a hold of used Arduino 101 on eBay.

Or you can buy the Arduino Nano BLE and slightly re-write the code. I don't think that will be difficult.

You will need level shifters to drive the 5V LEDs.

I recommend you look into the Arduino Nano 33 IoT as well.

With BLE you will need to write an app on your phone when you want to use it with your own user interface. There are apps that are good for development but they are a bit clumsy for the final product.

The Arduino Nano 33 IoT has additional WiFi capabilities. So when you find BLE is not the right thing to use, you have a backup plan. You could create a WiFi server and control your app via a web page on your smartphone.

The Arduino BLE library is easy to use and supports the Nano 33 BLE recommended by ieee488 and the Nano 33 IoT.

https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-nano-33-ble

https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-nano-33-iot

@bailey_wu

Other post/duplicate DELETED
Please do NOT cross post / duplicate as it wastes peoples time and efforts to have more than one post for a single topic.

Continued cross posting could result in a time out from the forum.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.