Coding limitations of a Parallax LCD vs a regular generic LCD ?

I've a Parallax 2x16 Serial LCD, Backlit with Speaker. Datasheet: http://learn.parallax.com/KickStart/27977

I'm finding that this LCD is coded differently than what I initially started with; a regular 16 x 2 LCD, simple pinout. I feel like this new LCD is going to have a steep learning curve for what I want to ultimately achieve with my Arduino.

Can I not take the speaker off, remove the solder and use the LCD much like the original one I had (that is no longer functional)?

Or is there another way of keeping everything intact but still be able to use Arduino's sketches?

I'm finding that this LCD is coded differently than what I initially started with; a regular 16 x 2 LCD, simple pinout. I feel like this new LCD is going to have a steep learning curve for what I want to ultimately achieve with my Arduino.

Have you tried the sample code shown at the site to which you linked? It looks pretty straightforward to me.

Can I not take the speaker off, remove the solder and use the LCD much like the original one I had (that is no longer functional)?

It would be a lot easier to just buy another generic display if you want to use 'Arduino sketches'.

How did your original display become non-functional, they are pretty hard to destroy?

Don