Coffee table rgb

Hi is there a simple way to build a coffee table rgb addressable leds.
I want to just use the strips without cutting them into single leds. The problem would be the ir sensors ?

Can I add ir motion sensors directly onto a rgb strip to save on wiring and I would like to use plastic egg crate style grids and put the led strips under them so I don’t have to build a grid. I would definitely want the table to play Tetris type game and possible ir sensor to detect say a cup or something placed onto the table and change to the opposite color

Or doing a bit of research there are matrix type boards with ir sensors and they clip together ? Or does that get expensive

Does the egg-crate grid have the same pitch as the addressable LED strip? If not, you have to shrink the LED strip to match the pitch of your egg-crate.

Custom egg-crate isn’t too hard. Take a bunch of plastic strips and tape them together in a stack. Use a saw to cut slots at the desired pitch, a bit more than half way through the strips. Turn half of the strips over and fit the slots together to hold the strips in a grid. Ideally, the saw kerf would be a good fit for the strip thickness.

Can I add ir motion sensors directly onto a rgb strip to save on wiring

No.