Coil antenas

You were all a huge help on this:

I've got the parts ordered and begun working on the code. In order to have lights that I can make RGB I needed to order from China.....and it's the wicked slow boat from China so I'll have them sometime in January. I also decided to go with the Mega because in the words of my husband "You'll probably come up with some other crazy idea"

And here we are.

I've been messing around with RFID and RFID features.

One of the things I dreamed up was putting a coil antenna in each button so that I could put a skylander like figure on each button. I tested with the button I have and they are just enough weight to depress the arcade button, therefore I could have the coil only read when depressed.

The idea is to create a cool interactive board in which the "Figure" could interact therefore creating games like chickens and fox. I know that some people us RFID coil antennas for chess boards but I haven't found a ton without a whole host of moving mechanics and magnets and other conflations that don't matter.

I am not clearly understanding what you are trying to do. As I understand it you want to detect when something is placed on a specified place on a game board. RFID Sounds cool but I think it would work better with capacitance switches where you may have to put a small piece of metal on the bottom of each piece but that depends on the final design. There are keyboard encoders that would do the job as well as a lot of capacitance sensor applications using the Arduino. This is just a guess on my part but hope it helps.

You can also use Hall effect sensors and magnets.

gilshultz:
I am not clearly understanding what you are trying to do. As I understand it you want to detect when something is placed on a specified place on a game board. RFID Sounds cool but I think it would work better with capacitance switches where you may have to put a small piece of metal on the bottom of each piece but that depends on the final design. There are keyboard encoders that would do the job as well as a lot of capacitance sensor applications using the Arduino. This is just a guess on my part but hope it helps.

I am making a grid of 25 arcade buttons with LED inside. It will be 5x5. I was thinking of putting something small and not very noticeable inside the buttons so I could put an RFID item. It could read the information and do some pretty neat tricks. So moving it around the board could do different things or even be used for table top RPG games.

RFID covers too wide a zone, up to several meters. It's not good for sensing small distances.

aarg:
You can also use Hall effect sensors and magnets.

Interesting idea. I used a hall sensor as a potentiometer in my "robot" car applications. It's not quite what I'm looking for I think.
I have an RFID reader, so I could scan the figure first then

(Ignore the colors, I'm going with a different idea now)
What I'm doing is creating a 5x5 display of button addressable RGB LED using arcade buttons. I was thinking of putting something inside the buttons so that I can create a cool 3rd dimension that would be super cool and unique.

aarg:
RFID covers too wide a zone, up to several meters. It's not good for sensing small distances.

Interesting. I am using an RFID reader to read tags for a TonUino and the range is often frustratingly small. In order to get the card/tag/toy to read you have to plunk it down pretty exactly.....It's....frustrating to say the least. Wanted to put that small range to good use.

Maybe - but I have doubts about 25 RFID transceivers working several inches apart…

aarg:
Maybe - but I have doubts about 25 RFID transceivers working several inches apart...

Understood. Wonder if there is a better way to do it. I have the LED so I could potentially do something with that. Seems there is no easy solution.
boo.

aarg:

????

I WISH!! RFID, at least what we can afford, has a range of one or two centimeters.

I used RFID (MFRC522 RFID Reader) on an escape room game recently. Basically the player had to put the correct items in the correct place in the room.