Coil Antenna for LoRa module

Hi Good day :). I am planning to use the Ra 02 LoRa module for long distance communication. LoRas are a bit expensive to my budget. I plan to buy LoR but I have one question. Can I use 433 mhz coil antenna to solder to my LoRa? Is it possible to work like this? Thanks..

The antenna does not know if its sending LoRa or any other type of radio, and if you need long distances then LoRa modules are very much cheaper than trying to extend the range of less capable radios with more power or fancy antennas.

A 'coil' antenna might be slightly smaller, but a simple 1/4 wave wire will normally be very much more effective.

Yes I am using LoRa Ra 02 module. But will a 433mhz coil antenna work? I will just solder it to the plug where the antenna should be attached?

The coil should work, but as I said;

"a simple 1/4 wave wire will normally be very much more effective"

Ok Thanks... Antennas are only one piece of wire right? So I can just solder them to the ra 02...

What @srnet is trying to tell you is that the coil will work but a simple 1/4 wave solid core straight piece of wire will give better results. At 433mHz that's around 16.5-17cmfrom memory.

gabriel0417:
Ok Thanks... Antennas are only one piece of wire right? So I can just solder them to the ra 02...

A 1/4 wave(length) antenna is only one bit of wire (normally). So yes you can solder it to the antenna connection on the RA-02.

I recently completed a device for a friend that used two receivers operating at 433 mHz. They both came with coiled antennas. The instructions sent advised to straighten out the coiled wire for greater sensitivity. That does work. And you can do the same with your coiled antenna wire.

Paul

If I were to use the straightened antenna, about what distance would be the difference to the coiled antenna... like can you give me a number? And I know it can only transfer data at 10kbps so can it send a picture even if it takes some time?

gabriel0417:
If I were to use the straightened antenna, about what distance would be the difference to the coiled antenna... like can you give me a number? And I know it can only transfer data at 10kbps so can it send a picture even if it takes some time?

The only number you need is what you get from experimenting. However, you need to understand that use of a device on 433mhx is limited by law the world around to a single short transmission every second. This frequency is a shared frequency and you cannot create problems to primary users or even other users of the same class. So, transmissions are limited to very short control or data transmissions, like a weather station sending the temperature/humidity once every 5 or 10 seconds. Not for sending a data file. Pick another frequency like WIFI at 2.4 gHz.
Paul

So basically sending images via LoRa is not a great idea, right? May I just ask what frequencies are not to be used because they are for private and government purposes? Or are the frequencies by nation... because I am from the Philippines.

gabriel0417:
So basically sending images via LoRa is not a great idea, right? May I just ask what frequencies are not to be used because they are for private and government purposes? Or are the frequencies by nation... because I am from the Philippines.

Google will find that information for you. The 433 frequency is part of one of the world-wide amateur radio bands. It is shared with the primary user, government agencies. Radar in some cases. LoRa is fine for it's purposes, just not for what you are wanting to do. All frequencies are assigned by treaties with every country of the world. Some are common to all countries, such as most amateur radio frequencies, some are common by region of the world. In most cases if you find a commercial device legally sold in your country, you can be assured that frequency can be used, but you need to be aware of restrictions.
Good luck,
Paul

Thank you very much @Paul :). I ordered mine online in my country, so I guess I can be assured that 433MHz frequency would be fine to use as long as I refrain from sending big file packets and frequent transmission... correct me if I'm wrong... :slight_smile:

gabriel0417:
Thank you very much @Paul :). I ordered mine online in my country, so I guess I can be assured that 433MHz frequency would be fine to use as long as I refrain from sending big file packets and frequent transmission… correct me if I’m wrong… :slight_smile:

Your are welcome. It’s not up to you, the device will not transmit, except within legal limits.
Paul

You mean it will not transmit data unless it is within legal limitations?

gabriel0417:
You mean it will not transmit data unless it is within legal limitations?

I mean it will not likely transmit more often than about one time per second. Just like your weather station does.
Paul

I am planning for my project for the transmitter to send one number or letter then the reciever will just execute a program once the character is recieved maybe thats ok... anyways thank you very much :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

gabriel0417:
If I were to use the straightened antenna, about what distance would be the difference to the coiled antenna… like can you give me a number? And I know it can only transfer data at 10kbps so can it send a picture even if it takes some time?

Difficult to be sure, you really do need to test for yourself, but a simple wire antenna might have 3-4 times the range of one of those coil things.

The enemy of large data transfers, UHF (434\868\915Mhz) is duty cycle, the time you are allowed to transmit. This can be 0.1%, 1% or 10%, depending on where you are in the World.

Even at a high LoRa data rate, say 22kbps, the duty cycle restriction of 1% can mean you can only transmit one 64K image an hour, if you need to drop the datarate for longer range, it can take several hours to send just one image.
There is no one answer, it all depends on the distances, the datarates, legal restrictions in your country and how big the ‘images’ are. No escaping from doing the sums.

At 2.4Ghz life is much easier, there are few duty cycle limits, so you can transmit continuously if you so wish.

gabriel0417:
Thank you very much @Paul :). I ordered mine online in my country, so I guess I can be assured that 433MHz frequency would be fine to use as long as I refrain from sending big file packets and frequent transmission... correct me if I'm wrong... :slight_smile:

Your wrong.

Just because you can buy something 'online' in your country, it does not mean it is legal to use.

Without checking your contries regulations, you cannot know which frequencies it is legal to use.

I have read a document from our telecommunications department saying that the 433mhz is allocated for Radiolocation, Fixed, mobile, and amateur.... I have a remote control car(All electronics not working anymore) that use 43 MHz and according to the document it states that 43 Mhz is allocated for mobile and fixed.

How does this differ from 433Mhz?