coin hopper connection

Hello,

I am trying to control a coin dispenser (ICT - International Currency Technologies) through arduino and running into issues. I'm not very experienced in electrical components and I think my connections are done incorrectly.

I should control dispensing coin via single pin, setting it low for ~10 milliseconds.

This is the cable connection specification

the 12V VIN and ground is coming from external power source. I connected the external ground also to arduino ground. And then PAYOUT_ON pin from hopper goes to pin 6 in arduino UNO

When I set the PAYOUT_IN pin (pin 6 on arduino) to LOW, it starts dispensing coins, but it doesn't stop when I set it to high again. Is there some additional component I should add to my circuit maybe?

When I power on the coin hopper, then the PAYOUT_ON pin is already at 5V, so not sure if I can override it to LOW directly with arduino at all? Sorry if dumb or confusing question, I'm not very confident in circuits at all

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Arduino forum. Based on what you have shown, it looks correct.

What is the actual time of the low pulse you are sending? Documentation shows it should be greater than 10 ms.

Paul

Thanks.

I've tried multiple timings (both very small like 5ms and then 15ms and 30ms). Also, there's 2 different modes the hopper can be run - "pulse mode" is supposed to dispense 1 coin for each >10ms pulse, "hopper mode" should dispense coins as long as pin is set to LOW. I've tried both modes and the hopper doesn't stop dispensing coins when I set pin back to HIGH.

I'm thinking maybe I have a faulty unit and should just get another one from different batch. The hopper also has "serial mode", which doesn't work and supplier is not very helpful with instructions/support. Unfortunately I'm stuck to that specific model due to enclosure.

There appears to be third option and that is to disconnect the internal processor and drive the thing directly with the Arduino.

Paul

Thanks Paul, thats certainly an idea worth testing.

One more question, which pinMode i should leave the arduino pin 6 (connected to payout_in on hopper). As OUTPUT pin? It looks like when hopper initialuzes it already puts 5v high on the payout_in pin itself, so can i connect it to output pin on arduino safely?

Thanks

marcoloco:
Thanks Paul, thats certainly an idea worth testing.

One more question, which pinMode i should leave the arduino pin 6 (connected to payout_in on hopper). As OUTPUT pin? It looks like when hopper initialuzes it already puts 5v high on the payout_in pin itself, so can i connect it to output pin on arduino safely?

Thanks

If you disconnect the internal processor, that won't happen.

Paul

hi @marcoloco did you manage to send pulses and dispense?

hi.. the setup should work using any digital pin. the only problem is actually power supply 12V should be capable of delivering more than 2A. :slight_smile: that is the culprit.