color detection using computer

I am trying to figure out the best way to do color detection. It is my hope to us a computer with a camera to detect what color is in front of it and then send the data to my arduino for it to do the rest. I haven't been able to find any examples of this or anything similar. Anyone have any experience with doing something like this?

jkexbx:
I am trying to figure out the best way to do color detection. It is my hope to us a computer with a camera to detect what color is in front of it and then send the data to my arduino for it to do the rest. I haven't been able to find any examples of this or anything similar. Anyone have any experience with doing something like this?

I don't have any experience with them, but search eBay for "TCS230" and you will find color recognition sensors that can be read from a microcontroller like Arduino.

There are lots of examples of colour sensors in the playground.

I wrote a library some time ago (follow the link in the signature block) with an explanation and example code on how the TCS230 can be calibrated and used to recognise colours. If you download it, make sure you read the pdf doc.

I am trying to figure out the best way to stop people cross-posting.
Anyone have any experience with doing something like this?

There was an identical question earlier today and I answered it - something like this

This Python - Arduino demo shows how to communicate between a PC and an Arduino. It should be straightforward to extend the Python code using the PIL library to detect colours in an image that has been captured by a camera.

...R