Color image to BIN converter and how to use BIN files in external EEPROM

Hi to all, after three days looking and testing, I'm desperate.

Please, I need to know the following:

a) An image (BMP,PNG,JPG, etc.) to .BIN file converter to be used the BIN files in a external EEPROM.

b) How to prepare each .BIN file inside the EEPROM to be called from Arduino.

c) Procedure to call each .BIN the EEPROM from Arduino.

Note. The images are for SSD1289 and ILI9325 (LCD 240RGBx320 Resolution and 262K color)

Thank you for your time and patience,

Hi
You can use image2lcd to convert image to bin file.
But unfortunately I don't know how to call every image and show it onto LCd.
If you found something Please share it here.

download link:

http://bascom.at.ua/2014/BiblaN73/Archive.zip

With regard.

You normally store BMP files on SD card. They are big. But easy to render. e,g. with a Uno.

JPG files can be quite small. You can store several in a 128kB or 256kB flash e.g Zero, Due, Mega2560, …
JPG files need sufficient SRAM and CPU power to decode. A Uno does not have enough SRAM.

EEPROMs are fairly small. e.g. 24C512 is 64kB.
Flash memory chips are almost always 3.3V. Typical chips are 4MB, 8MB, 16MB, …

SD cards are typically 2GB, 4GB, …
You can store as many BMP, JPG, … images as you want.

I suggest that you leave images in the native format
A BIN file with no information about size, format, colour depth, … is only good for the person that created it from a proper BMP, JPG, PNG, …

David.

Thank you David for your suggestion,But I think when you want to use in not only for a simple project but for production Then it is really necessary to use a cheaper part.
For example SPI flash are relatively very cheaper and smaller than SD card and also has a larger storage space than the AT24cxx series.
So it might be a good idea to solve this problem and save more money :slight_smile:

It would take 10 minutes from your life to describe your requirements. i.e. with real number of images

A 256kB or 512kB ARM chip would be a single chip solution. e.g. with JPG images.

David.

david_prentice:
It would take 10 minutes from your life to describe your requirements. i.e. with real number of images

A 256kB or 512kB ARM chip would be a single chip solution. e.g. with JPG images.

David.

Dear David It's because English is not my native language :confused:
A 240x400 16Bit image need axactly 187KByte of storage space so using ARM micro's is not a good solution!
By the way,Finally I found the solution .
Because it not possible to write multiple .Bin file into external EEPROM so it need to be combined into one file.
So if we have 10 image for example ,we need to convert each one to separate BIN file using Image2LCD app and then merge all of them into one file and write into EEPROM.
finally by knowing the exact size of every image and begin and end address of them we can read every image and process the data
HOPE THAT IT CAN HELP SOMONE.
BY REGARD :slight_smile:

A 240x400 image can often be stored in a 30kB JPG file. You can fit 10 in a 512kB Due.

I have never seen EEPROM memory bigger than 128kB e.g. 24C1025
Flash memory comes in large sizes e.g. W25Q128 16MB

Yes, you can store files in Flash Memory e.g. with <SerialFlash.h> library.
Or you can handle the housekeeping yourself e.g. with one anonymous monster sequence.

Note that Flash memory chips are strictly 3.3V
Very painful to use with 5V Uno, Mega.

David.

tceel:
Hi
You can use image2lcd to convert image to bin file.
But unfortunately I don't know how to call every image and show it onto LCd.
If you found something Please share it here.

download link:

http://bascom.at.ua/2014/BiblaN73/Archive.zip

With regard.

Thank you very much, tceel. For the first time, you have provided me with a program, image2LCD that performs the direct conversion of an image to a .bin file.

Unfortunately, so far I have not mastered the conversion options and the representation of the image is correct except that it does so partially.

I'm still testing to see if the problems are the conversion options or my own show of representation.
If I succeed, I will let you know in this thread.

Thank you again and best regards.