Colour coding code

I find it easiest to write code in a text editor - that way I can use colours to highlight sections I'm working on.

I'm currently using OpenOffice but I get problems when it uses the style of quotation marks, dashes etc that look right, but are wrong for coding.

Is there a way to temporarily colour highlight code sections in the IDE?
Or is there an alternate to the IDE that can do it?
Or can anyone suggest a text editor that is code compatible?

Is there a way to temporarily colour highlight code sections in the IDE?
Or is there an alternate to the IDE that can do it?
Or can anyone suggest a text editor that is code compatible?

No. not while editing the text
Don’t know
Notepad++ allows you to collapse and expand sections of code and can be used as an external editor with the IDE

It’s messy but you might want to consider putting different parts of your code in separate files in the same folder as your main file, in which case they will appear as extra tabs in the IDE and will be compiled with the main file.

UKHeliBob:
… Notepad++ allows you to collapse and expand sections of code and can be used as an external editor with the IDE …

Does that work with the “Use exernal editor” in the preferences?

UKHeliBob:
… It’s messy but you might want to consider putting different parts of your code in separate files in the same folder as your main file …

That won’t really help unfortunately - it’s more a case of marking a line or section that I want to go back to when I’ve done something else, or marking interdependant sections so I can identify them easily and then, when I’ve identified all the neccessay code, I can tweak them, test them, and then go back to them easily.

but it may not work in the new IDE

Thanks. Will have a play with it.

Quote from: UKHeliBob on Today at 12:25:56
... Notepad++ allows you to collapse and expand sections of code and can be used as an external editor with the IDE ...
Does that work with the "Use exernal editor" in the preferences?

Yes

if you're on OS X, Xcode is great for writing code.