COM drivers for arduino serial chip

Sorry if the nomenclature in the title is confusing... not sure how to word the problem.

Basically I'm trying to find a couple of things. First, I went to the FTDI website and found WM6 drivers to put on my PDA so I could read my Arduino boards. The driver went on fine but then the VID and PID wouldn't recognize so I added a few that I found in discussions on the matter. Still no dice with boards containing genuine FTDI chips but now my chinese Nanos suddenly work.

So my Nano now automatically shows up in a free COM port on my PDA but when I open a serial monitor program that I downloaded "Terminal CE", it shows a bunch of squares every 500 mS instead of proper characters. I figured ok the serial settings must be wrong or the wrong character set but all my settings were correct: 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, ASCII set (also tried Unicode) and still squares showing up. My only guess is that the FTDI driver isn't working with the chinese chip but then why am I getting a COM port and squares at the correct intervals? Weird.

Anyway, any insight into this OR a link to WM6 compatible drivers for the CH340G would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can understand why there is not much attention for this topic. Other similar topics I’ve found ended with someone saying “Pocket PC devices don’t have host capabilities”.

Well… mine does :slight_smile:

Of course it would be nice to be able to upload sketches using my PDA but I’m almost certain that software doesn’t exist. It would be far more fruitful to simply try to get the serial output to show up on the PPC using a terminal application but this first requires solving the problem of the serial driver. To that, I seem to have reached an impasse.