COM port not available - Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger

Using windows 10 PRO and Arduino IDE 1.8.13 (App from windows store, but I have the same problem with "normal" installation").

I have Arduino SAMD Boards 1.8.11 installed and Adafruit SAMD Boards 1.5.5 installed (I need to keep it on 1.5.5 because of the project I intend to pursue). The COM port does not become active when I connect Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger. I cannot even upload a blink example as a test. I have also tried different Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger (I have a couple) but no difference.

Have tried all USB and also switched out USB cable a number of times.

In addition I get the following error message when opening the IDE
"Warning: non trusted contribution, skipping script execution (C:\Users\cax\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\adafruit\hardware\samd\1.5.5\post_install.bat)"

I cannot see device connected in system manager (unless it is the one highlighted in the attached image below).

Information on my computer is attached (but I presume this is not the info that is needed).

As it is stated that for Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger, the chip comes with built in USB so it has USB-to-Serial program & debug capability built in with no need for an FTDI-like chip. I presume FTDI drivers are not the problem?

My issue is simply how to get Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger to show up in the IDE to be able to select port and upload.

Apologies for the simple question but I have managed to do it before but on different computer. Now I am unable to figure out why it does not work on new computer.

system export.txt (5.66 KB)

Have you installed the board CORE from BOARD MANAGER in the IDE ?
That would be your first thing to try.

I am not sure what CORE is? When searching for CORE I find only Microsoft IoT or Arduino nRF52 or Leonardo & Micro MIDI-USB (arcore) or Adafruit TeeOnArdu.

As instructed on Adafruits homepage I install “Adafruit SAMD” and “Arduino SAMD Boards” (Using with Arduino IDE | Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger | Adafruit Learning System).

I have added the relevant link under additional board managers URLs (https://adafruit.github.io/arduino-board-index/package_adafruit_index.json) under preferences.

No issue with error message anymore. I am at a loss why it is not working. I have several new boards so the hardware should not be a problem.

Your first link was how to install the core packages for those specific boards.
With some boards you often have to install those to get going.

Don't forget you need to have closed the IDE when you have used the "additional url" or the change may not stick.

I prefer to open the preferences file, close the IDE, make the needed change to the prefs and save them, Then re-open the IDE and check I can see the new URL before going any further.

Also using the SEARCH option (upper right) will give you lots of results for board core

Yes, I have added the URL in preference and closed and re-opened the IDE. I added the cores (Adafruit SAMD" and “Arduino SAMD Boards”) as instructed for the Feather M0 Adalogger. I double checked in my preference file that it is there and it seems ok from what I can see (attached and below). Still, no possibility to choose a port. I am not sure how to proceed.

preference.txt:

board=adafruit_feather_m0
boardsmanager.additional.urls=https://adafruit.github.io/arduino-board-index/package_adafruit_index.json
build.verbose=false
build.warn_data_percentage=75
cache.enable=true
compiler.cache_core=true
compiler.warning_level=none
console=true
console.auto_clear=true
console.error.file=stderr.txt
console.length=500
console.lines=4
console.output.file=stdout.txt
custom_debug=adafruit_feather_m0_on
custom_usbstack=adafruit_feather_m0_arduino
editor.antialias=true
editor.auto_close_braces=true
editor.caret.blink=true
editor.code_folding=false
editor.divider.size=2
editor.external=false
editor.font=Monospaced,plain,12
editor.indent=true
editor.invalid=false
editor.keys.alternative_cut_copy_paste=true
editor.keys.home_and_end_beginning_end_of_doc=false
editor.keys.shift_backspace_is_delete=true
editor.languages.current=
editor.linenumbers=false
editor.save_on_verify=true
editor.tabs.expand=true
editor.tabs.size=2
editor.update_extension=true
editor.window.height.default=600
editor.window.height.min=290
editor.window.width.default=500
editor.window.width.min=400
export.applet.separate_jar_files=false
export.application.fullscreen=false
export.application.platform=true
export.application.stop=true
export.delete_target_folder=true
gui.scale=auto
ide.accessible=false
last.ide.1.8.13.daterun=1613731748
last.ide.1.8.13.hardwarepath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware
last.screen.height=1080
last.screen.width=1920
last.sketch.count=0
last.sketch.default.location=710,240,500,600,414,0
last.sketch.default.path=C:\Users\cax\AppData\Local\Temp\untitled693938586.tmp\sketch_feb19a\sketch_feb19a.ino
platform.auto_file_type_associations=true
preferences.readonly=false
preproc.color_datatype=true
preproc.enhanced_casting=true
preproc.imports.list=java.applet.,java.awt.Dimension,java.awt.Frame,java.awt.event.MouseEvent,java.awt.event.KeyEvent,java.awt.event.FocusEvent,java.awt.Image,java.io.,java.net.,java.text.,java.util.,java.util.zip.,java.util.regex.*
preproc.output_parse_tree=false
preproc.save_build_files=false
preproc.substitute_floats=true
preproc.substitute_unicode=true
preproc.web_colors=true
programmer=arduino:avrispmkii
proxy.manual.hostname=
proxy.manual.password=
proxy.manual.port=
proxy.manual.type=HTTP
proxy.manual.username=
proxy.pac.url=
proxy.type=auto
run.display=1
run.options=
run.options.memory=false
run.options.memory.initial=64
run.options.memory.maximum=256
run.present.bgcolor=#666666
run.present.exclusive=false
run.present.stop.color=#cccccc
serial.databits=8
serial.debug_rate=9600
serial.line_ending=1
serial.parity=N
serial.stopbits=1
sketchbook.path=C:\Users\cax\Documents\Arduino
software=ARDUINO
target_package=adafruit
target_platform=samd
theme.file=
update.check=true
update.id=-2762565280932404513
update.last=1613731050099
upload.using=bootloader
upload.verbose=false
upload.verify=true

preferences.txt (2.9 KB)

Either driver or hardware problem.

I would attempt to run that post install batch file in the hopes that it was supposed to install required software

C:\Users\cax\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\adafruit\hardware\samd\1.5.5\post_install.bat)"

(background: a few versions ago, Arduino stopped letting third party hardware packages run a post installation batch file in the name of "security". Which sounds very reasonablke until you consider the fact that any third party hardware package can execute arbitrary commands as the current user anyway just by saying that's the command used to compile a sketch. So it doesn't actually improve security, just shits all over the user experience for anyone using anything other than official Arduino boards or clones thereof)

Second:
Confirm which device it is in device manager, rather than saying it might be the unknown device. look at the list with it plugged in, and with it not plugged in. There should be an extra device listed with it plugged in. That's useful information.

Third:: You say you have a bunch of these. Are these... brand new out of box, or is it possible that they have bad code uploaded on them? You should confirm, on the one you're using for the testing, that you can plug it into some other computer that is properly set up and have the device show up..
With any native USB chip, sufficiently bad code will leave it in a "soft-bricked" state, where as soon as the sketch starts running, the bad code breaks it severely enough that it can't answer the USB messages, so the computer declares it to be malfunctioning; if that's the case pressing reset (if it has one) will probable make it disappear and reappear as a working device, at least briefly (that's how it works on the m32u4, at least). Unfortunately I don't have experience with the SAM/SAMD device as to what this looks like and how to fix

HI,

Thanks for the replies. I tried running the bat file, no change. Two are never used but have been lying around for a while. to double check I ordered a brand new one but no difference.

As for devices I do not know what I am looking for. I have attached what I see in the device manager. I also booted up linux (Fedora 33 if that matters):

I see the following in Fedora:

[ca@localhost ~]$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 64.8M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1514
loop1 7:1 0 55.5M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/core18/1988
loop2 7:2 0 142.4M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/arduino/50
loop4 7:4 0 174.8M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/joplin-desktop/2
loop5 7:5 0 243.6M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-38-2004/31
loop6 7:6 0 219M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-34-1804/66
loop7 7:7 0 162.9M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-28-1804/145
loop8 7:8 0 31.1M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/snapd/11036
loop9 7:9 0 51M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/snap-store/518
loop10 7:10 0 61.6M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/core20/904
loop11 7:11 0 243.9M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-38-2004/39
loop12 7:12 0 174.8M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/joplin-desktop/4
zram0 252:0 0 4G 0 disk [SWAP]
nvme0n1 259:0 0 476.9G 0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 260M 0 part /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 16M 0 part 
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3 0 274.7G 0 part 
├─nvme0n1p4 259:4 0 1000M 0 part 
├─nvme0n1p5 259:5 0 1G 0 part /boot
└─nvme0n1p6 259:6 0 200G 0 part /home

ls /dev/tty*
/dev/tty    /dev/tty23  /dev/tty39  /dev/tty54   /dev/ttyS11  /dev/ttyS27
/dev/tty0   /dev/tty24  /dev/tty4   /dev/tty55   /dev/ttyS12  /dev/ttyS28
/dev/tty1   /dev/tty25  /dev/tty40  /dev/tty56   /dev/ttyS13  /dev/ttyS29
/dev/tty10  /dev/tty26  /dev/tty41  /dev/tty57   /dev/ttyS14  /dev/ttyS3
/dev/tty11  /dev/tty27  /dev/tty42  /dev/tty58   /dev/ttyS15  /dev/ttyS30
/dev/tty12  /dev/tty28  /dev/tty43  /dev/tty59   /dev/ttyS16  /dev/ttyS31
/dev/tty13  /dev/tty29  /dev/tty44  /dev/tty6    /dev/ttyS17  /dev/ttyS4
/dev/tty14  /dev/tty3   /dev/tty45  /dev/tty60   /dev/ttyS18  /dev/ttyS5
/dev/tty15  /dev/tty30  /dev/tty46  /dev/tty61   /dev/ttyS19  /dev/ttyS6
/dev/tty16  /dev/tty31  /dev/tty47  /dev/tty62   /dev/ttyS2   /dev/ttyS7
/dev/tty17  /dev/tty32  /dev/tty48  /dev/tty63   /dev/ttyS20  /dev/ttyS8
/dev/tty18  /dev/tty33  /dev/tty49  /dev/tty7    /dev/ttyS21  /dev/ttyS9
/dev/tty19  /dev/tty34  /dev/tty5   /dev/tty8    /dev/ttyS22
/dev/tty2   /dev/tty35  /dev/tty50  /dev/tty9    /dev/ttyS23
/dev/tty20  /dev/tty36  /dev/tty51  /dev/ttyS0   /dev/ttyS24
/dev/tty21  /dev/tty37  /dev/tty52  /dev/ttyS1   /dev/ttyS25
/dev/tty22  /dev/tty38  /dev/tty53  /dev/ttyS10  /dev/ttyS26

if I insert just a normal USB-stick into the same port I can see it:

[pre][ca@localhost ~]$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 64.8M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1514
loop1 7:1 0 55.5M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/core18/1988
loop2 7:2 0 142.4M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/arduino/50
loop4 7:4 0 174.8M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/joplin-desktop/2
loop5 7:5 0 243.6M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-38-2004/31
loop6 7:6 0 219M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-34-1804/66
loop7 7:7 0 162.9M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-28-1804/145
loop8 7:8 0 31.1M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/snapd/11036
loop9 7:9 0 51M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/snap-store/518
loop10 7:10 0 61.6M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/core20/904
loop11 7:11 0 243.9M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-38-2004/39
loop12 7:12 0 174.8M 1 loop /var/lib/snapd/snap/joplin-desktop/4
sda 8:0 1 7.2G 0 disk 
└─sda1 8:1 1 7.2G 0 part /run/media/ca/[b]USB_FLIP[/b]
zram0 252:0 0 4G 0 disk [SWAP]
nvme0n1 259:0 0 476.9G 0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 260M 0 part /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 16M 0 part 
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3 0 274.7G 0 part 
├─nvme0n1p4 259:4 0 1000M 0 part 
├─nvme0n1p5 259:5 0 1G 0 part /boot
└─nvme0n1p6 259:6 0 200G 0 part /home

[/pre]
I think on the computer where I once manage to upload a sketch the computer recognized when I connected a adafruit board (just in general like when you insert an external hard drive etc). Now, none of my laptops does (I have tried on 3 different ones, including the one which worked in the first place).

For WINDOWS enable the SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES in device manager as you appear to be missing COM & LPT PORTS from the picture.

Posted a picture with "show hidden devices" enabled. I also looked in the terminal using chgport /query I am not sure if this should work but no serial ports could be found.

I have read that apparently "Windows 10 COM port issues plague many users whose computers have been designed without the inclusion of any serial interfaces.". How do I find out if this is really the issue for me or if something has gone wrong simply? I have attached my computer spec but.. sorry, it does not say me much (ie. I don't know if my computer is among those that does not have any serial interface). I have seen several ways how they suggest to solve this com port issues but I have no idea if it makes a difference how I go about it (e.g. adding virtual com port driver etc).

Really grateful for people taking their time to help!

No_serial_ports.JPG

No_serial_ports.JPG

ThinkPad_T14_Gen_1_AMD_Spec.pdf (345 KB)

Seeing as you cannot seem to enable the COM and LPT section in device manager you wont see any COM ports.

This will allow you to MANUALLY add them.

It is something I had to do on one of my new boxes.

An Alternative Option Is To Add Com Ports Manually:

• Open Device Manager.
  • In the menu bar, select the “Action” option.
  • Select “Add Legacy Hardware” from the submenu. ...
  • Click “Next”
  • Check the “Install The Hardware” box in the “Advanced” drop-down and click “Next”.
  • Select Ports (COM and LPT) and click “Next”.

You should not need to add any port numbers with this method. I certainly did not have to.

Virtual drivers are something else and adding those can cause problems for some users if they are not up to speed on them so if you try virtual ports pease take a lot of extra care !

I'll stay away from virtual drivers then.

I tried to install the legacy hardware (not sure which I should install though as Adafruit Feather adalogger is not listed but regardless what I try it seems like something is not working properly).

As for "Serial" I cannot install it at all.

com_ports.JPG

com_ports.JPG

Well that's a good step forward looking at the first picture.
It should be safe to ignore the second picture so long as those in the first remain after a restart of the computer.

To clear the errors in the first pic you may need to relax the driver signing in win 10 but do so as a FULL ADMINISTARTOR and another restart may be needed.

Ste devices are still present after re-start. I removed bitlocker, disable secure boot and think i removed driver signature enforcement by starting command prompt as admin and using “bcdedit /set testsigning on” which completed successfully.

But still same issue. For the general Com port (kommunikationsanschluss) I have the following error message:
“Windows cannot determine the settings for this device. Consult the documentation that came with this device and use the Resource tab to set the configuration. (Code 34)”

Just in case it matters, reboots inbetween does not change anything.

For any Arduino or Adafruit I get the following error message:
“This device cannot start. (Code 10)
The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device.”

Do I need to manually configure the device then?

Code 10 is almost certainly a DRIVER issue along with the code 34.

Beware that some forms of driver disable are only a one shot deal and revert back after usage.
Here I have it turned off completely.

I also have been having the same issue, and have tried 10+ USB cords and 14 separate Feather M0s, none of them seeming to be detected. I am not sure if anyone has had any success? I have tried on 3 Macs and two different Windows machines, and no luck anywhere.

Any new success?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.