Com problems again

The board had been running but stopped. Now I am getting this error: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I have tried the trouble shooting suggestions to no avail. Any Ideas?

Adding to previous info I loaded the Arduino environment to a second machine and received this error:

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port ‘COM1’ not found. Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:149)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:72)
at processing.app.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:66)
at processing.app.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:68)
at processing.app.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:43)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1632)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1701)
at processing.app.Editor$41.run(Editor.java:2004)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
The com port is not showing; what is are two lines for “modem” no usb.
I am guessing the board is not responding at all.
The pwr led is on and so is the tx led but nothing else happens.
Any ideas???

What OS are you on? Did you select the right port from the Tools > Serial Port menu?

I have Mac OS 10.4 on both computers (PowerBook and an Imac). The tty usb port shows on the book but not the IMac. The weird thing is that the Arduino was running this morning (on the book) with an Adafruit motor shield running a stepper. I removed the motor from the terminals and later replaced it in the same terminals and this is when the board stopped talking to the computer. Is it possible that the wires shorted something out and the board is fried?

Did you install the USB drivers on the iMac? If not, try that.

I am having similar problems. I have an Arduino Mini and using Ubuntu 8.04. I was able to upload the simple blink program. Then I modified it and uploaded it again. But I was never again able to upload programs and I get the "stk500_recv()" error message.

I tried the troubleshooting guide and also different versions of the Arduino GIU (from 007 to 0011) and they all give the same error. Sometimes, in version 0011 the option to select the com port was disabled and I had to restart the GUI.

The Arduino appears to be working because when I reset it the led on pin 13 flickers. Any sugestions ?

Have you tried as root? What about on a different computer?

Check the wiring / physical setup. Can you take a picture?

I did try as root, but without any sucess. The wiring is extremly simple, as I am using the USB mini converter to power and upload programs to the Arduino Mini.

I am going to try with a Windows computer tomorrow and see what happens.