Combination based output in a 4x4 matrix

Hi, I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this, ive been banging my head against the wall for weeks now to no avail.

Im currently building an A/V installation and I would like to have an ambiguous interface for the user to interact with. By ambiguous I mean the interaction is not immediately obvious (ie, slider = high to low etc)

I would like to use modular patch chords, that when connected give a unique output. Please see the attached image to understand what I mean (sorry if I worded it confusingly). I have built a prototype Max Patch with if statements to be able to detect which numbers are connected

I just cant figure how to apply this same logic when it comes to the hardware implementation. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Well, you could use 16 inputs with their pullup resistors enabled. At each location have an input and a Gnd.
Have a 2-pin cable, with the pin at one end connected to Gnd.

Then when you plug in a cable, a pin goes low, so you have one end, and then other end goes low, so you know where it is.

thanks for getting back to me, that could be the solution yeah, just one question.

take for example this user scenario where a user connects one side of the 2-pin cable and then does not complete the connection, they then take another cable and connect one side of it to another input. Will this result in those connections being paired together since they both go to LOW.?