Combination of Arduino and Raspberry Pi

Hi,
I am new to both Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

I plan to build a monitoring system of a small machine using Raspberry Pi - as it good for software development. In the same time, I want to upgrade my machine into touchscreen interface instead of button and normal display. For the touchscreen, I plan to use Arduino with TFT touchscreen from Adafruit - as the arduino board will be connected to any other sensors, and the TFT touchscreen is user friendly (can be touched using fingertips instead of touchscreen pencil)

So the connection gonna be >>

My software - Raspberry Pi board - Arduino board - Adafruit TFT touchscreen

Are these combination ok? Or do you have any better suggestion? Is there any similar projects that I can refer to?

p/s: Some of my concerns from using Pi's touchscreen are :-

• It can't be touched using fingertips
  • Very large in size - my machine is just small
  • Have its interface already while I have my own interface need to be drawn for display

You description leaves a lot of unknowns.

Do you want the touchscreen on the Arduino to control the RPi in place of your existing RPi touchscreen? If so I suspect it will not work as well as a proper capacitative (sp?) touch screen for your RPi.

But maybe you just want to make an Arduino project that is essentially stand-alone with occasional communication with an RPi. If so you have not told us all of the tasks the Arduino will be performing.

...R

miyekard:
Hi,
I am new to both Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

Then start at the beginning. Learn the Arduino microcontroller by working your way through the Examples given in the IDE. Raspberry Pi has it's own learning style, so visit forums, read magazines and books, study computer science in school, or speak with people you know who program that computer. Then use google to search for something like 'using Arduino with Raspberry Pi'.

Take it slow, and learn each part thoroughly.
Good luck!
Chris

Robin2:
You description leaves a lot of unknowns.

Do you want the touchscreen on the Arduino to control the RPi in place of your existing RPi touchscreen? If so I suspect it will not work as well as a proper capacitative (sp?) touch screen for your RPi.

But maybe you just want to make an Arduino project that is essentially stand-alone with occasional communication with an RPi. If so you have not told us all of the tasks the Arduino will be performing.

...R

Im sorry for the bad explanation. Currently there is no touchscreen. Only push buttons, 4 segment display, buzzer, and any other things. So, I want to improvise my machine into touchscreen interface using Arduino board. All the sensor and i/o (as stated before) will be connected to my Arduino board.

Then, I want to monitor the working hour and activities of my machine from my software in PC. So, I want to connect the Arduino board to a Pi board - as we know Pi is good for software development.

So basically Pi is for monitoring part, while Arduino for i/o part. And the touchscreen from Adafruit will be the one to control the i/o.

ChrisTenone:
Then start at the beginning. Learn the Arduino microcontroller by working your way through the Examples given in the IDE. Raspberry Pi has it's own learning style, so visit forums, read magazines and books, study computer science in school, or speak with people you know who program that computer. Then use google to search for something like 'using Arduino with Raspberry Pi'.

Take it slow, and learn each part thoroughly.
Good luck!
Chris

Thank you Chris! Currently is doing some study. But at the same time I want to go through the hardware. :slight_smile:

miyekard:
while Arduino for i/o part. And the touchscreen from Adafruit will be the one to control the i/o.

Can you explain how you envisage controlling the I/O with the touch-screen. What will the I/O be doing and what things need to be changed by the user?

For communication between the RPi and the Arduino have a look at this Python - Arduino demo and also at Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

...R

miyekard:
I plan to build a monitoring system of a small machine using Raspberry Pi - as it good for software development.

Hi,

I'm afraid we need more information:
What kind of machine is it?. What functions/tasks/parameters do you want to monitorize/program?
What do you mean exactly by "as it good for software development"?
Regards.

It sounds as if your project has two main phases.

PHASE-1 :
install an Arduino to replace an exisitng control
Add in some features to expand capabilities

PHASE-2 :
connect an raspberry pi to create an interface between the arduino and your computer.

My machine is kind of hydrogen generator. Initially, user need to set the timer for the machine to operate. During the whole operation, the TFT touchscreen display will shows flow rate, pressure, water level, operating time, etc. Once the timer end, it stop operating. The TFT will be the one that control the machine. I guess I want to use Arduino board with TFT shield for these.

At the same time in other side, I need to monitor all the data of operation remotely using my Android apps. I need to integrate the machine with GSM/GPRS, Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS board for monitoring purpose. This is why I need to use Pi.

So my question is this kind of combination is ok?
OR
Can I use the only Pi board for the whole project?

P/S : I alert with different operating voltage for both board.

Robin2:
For communication between the RPi and the Arduino have a look at this Python - Arduino demo and also at Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

Okay noted, thanks Robin!

vffgaston:
What do you mean exactly by "as it good for software development"?

I do some reading on the comparison of Arduino and Pi and it says Pi is best for software / server

dave-in-nj:
It sounds as if your project has two main phases.

PHASE-1 :
install an Arduino to replace an exisitng control
Add in some features to expand capabilities

PHASE-2 :
connect an raspberry pi to create an interface between the arduino and your computer.

Exactly yes!

Hi,
This is one -exceptional- thread in which all the made assertions are correct and helpful (notice that, up to now, I’ve made no assertions).
The arduino + raspberry tamdem seems the most logical; I take for granted that you don’t want to dedicate a PC -instead of the Raspberry- for budget concerns (I am not saying that a PC is better than a Raspi for this purpose -In fact I’d say almost the contrary-; is just to make things clearer).
I’d solve the arduino phase before: as the whole project involves sending the sampled values to the raspberry, I’d have it in mind from the very beginning (for example by creating an homogeneous array with all the measurings that will be sent when so asked by the Raspi). The different voltage is, believe me, one of the last concerns you have to worry about.
To have a starting point: have you got the sensors (phisically)?; if not: have you selected them?; has the machine currently some sort of instruments -even old fashioned?. This selection -sensors- is important to approach the first phase. Nevertheless, you should think on making a sort of block diagram -not electrical sketch- for the whole project, along with a more detailed description of the functioning (the one you have sent is quite good, but needs development).
Regards