Combining power supplies

I have seen some bench power supplies that let you daisy-chain them to end up with more power.

I was wondering -- can I use two 20amp regulated/switching power supplies to end up with 40 amps? (or slightly less)

Seems like not an arduino related question. But, It would be real iffy.
One may try to be the leader, and others try to follow, and they may start oscillating.

Actually it is related, sort of -- I am trying to switch a big bank of led's with an arduino. The problem I have is power. I can run it off a 12v deep cycle battery for a while; I tried using a battery charger, but then we have issues of released gases from the battery...
So now I go to 110v power supply.
looks like 30amp power supplies are common & relatively inexpensive, 20amp even more so; I need 33 amps. I wanted to combine two 20's.
It sounded like it could work; but that "switching" part bugged me enough that they would need some 'clock' to oscillate in sync...
I thought since some bench supplies could do it; there must either be "that easy" or a way to get them working together.

"I can run it off a 12v deep cycle battery for a while; I tried using a battery charger, but then we have issues of released gases from the battery..."

Depending on your room, but I have put my batteries just outside my room, and run heavy wires through the window (or, if you are bold, holes in the wall).

Can you break the lights into two sections, and then each power supply runs one section? Arduino has lots of output pins.

I thought about the wires, but the installation point will be an office lobby w/o any windows that open.
I will look into how easy it will be to split the load -- that's a good idea.

Something I haven't been able to get from the power supply people: Is the rating "peak" or "max/sustained" -- Any chance you know: are power supplies rated for continuous use or surge/peak?

I may look at some completely sealed batteries & chargers... I think lithium is out due to cost; but I am sure there are completely sealed batteries.... (my motorcycle & car claim to be "maintenance free" but they still vent gasses; there's got to be something that doesn't; or at least I want there to be)

There are a lot of inexpensive LED drivers that will take AC power directly. What kind of LED thing you doin'?

daveyjones:
Something I haven't been able to get from the power supply people: Is the rating "peak" or "max/sustained" -- Any chance you know: are power supplies rated for continuous use or surge/peak?

It's whatever's written on the fuse :wink:

daveyjones:
I have seen some bench power supplies that let you daisy-chain them to end up with more power.

I was wondering -- can I use two 20amp regulated/switching power supplies to end up with 40 amps? (or slightly less).

No, bench supplies that do this are designed to, and in such a mode one of the supplies
takes over all the power stages.

Standard constant voltage power supplies should not be paralleled.

Just use multiple supplies independently and they won't risk fighting each
other and blowing stuff up.

Thanks. that's what we'll do.