Command line Mac OS X

Hey everyone, I have been having a problem trying to send commands to the UNO from my terminal, I have been using the commands:

echo -e "\x00\c" > /dev/tty.DEVICENAME

To turn off the light and

echo -e "\xff\c" > /dev/tty.DEVICENAME

To turn the light on, and this works, just like a python script I've written, with one major flaw: it will only work if the serial monitor from Arduino is open.

I have tried using the stty -f command, and many other things, however nothing works for me.

when executing stty -a < /dev/tty.DEVICENAME when the Serial Monitor is open, it gives me

speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
	-echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
	-nokerninfo -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel -iutf8
	-ignbrk -brkint inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd -hupcl clocal -cstopb crtscts -dsrflow
	-dtrflow -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
	eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
	min = 0; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = ^T;
	stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

Any help would be appreciated!

The code I am using is the default "dimmer" tutorial, however instead of using the programs it suggests I have been sending bytes from the terminal or python scripts

I've found python to be awesome for interfacing with my arduino from my Mac. Take a look at pyserial - really easy to use.

dhunt:
I've found python to be awesome for interfacing with my arduino from my Mac. Take a look at pyserial - really easy to use.

I've been using that also, however I cannot get pyserial to work without opening serial monitor either..

I use arduino-serial, its a free app that sends data via the terminal.

http://todbot.com/blog/2006/12/06/arduino-serial-c-code-to-talk-to-arduino/comment-page-8/#comment-81341