Commodore 64 projects?

Hello community I just got in a commodore c64 in today. I always wanted one when i was a kid but my parents couldn't afford to get one and growing up i forgot all about it. Into recently i came across a arduino project for the commodore using it as a tape drive using a Sd card. So i bought one and remebering the times i had in the school that i played on one.

So i was wondering what other projects out there maybe the arduino can do or emulate on the commodore. I have also seen a Ethernet and a esp8266 wifi that can reach the internet for BBS. But this seems to be a good time to see what is else out there. I did some research online that is how i found the ethernet and wifi and the Sd card tape drive.

Joseph

I remember a project running commodore basic on a atmega128, but performance was low, just 0.5 MHz of 6502 equivalent. But there's still WDC with "real" 65xx SBCs https://wdc65xx.com/chips/ There are some projects that use STM32f4 to emulate a C64 :slight_smile:

Hello Zwieblum thank you. I'm looking into it. I never programmed in basic before. I'm just researching it now. and just like arduinio it will take me forever to learned the basic LOL

Joseph

Some years ago the C64 was cloned into a joystick case, along with about 30 of the classic games. You can still program it using the C64 Basic.

Should be available somewhere.

It is an interesting challenge to program the C64 in 6502 machine language, as the processor has very few registers and a small instruction set.

jremington:
It is an interesting challenge to program the C64 in 6502 machine language, as the processor has very few registers and a small instruction set.

My first programming job.

Hello jremington i saw the c64 Joystick game that looks awesome thank you for sharing. As for SteveMann Hello yes ths will be my first C64 computer i ever own. I'm soon will be looking into what can i add to it as in arduino micro processor projects.

Well there are other things i would like to do on the C64 like a arduino Ethernet to it not really into the whole Esp8266 for the c64 because i would like to be hardware in So That will be my next project when i figure out the whole basic programming. One thing i was looking into was Quantumlink internet maybe i can do something like that with chat for the arduino and C64? Who know's.

Edit: This is for a upcoming winter project sense i will be stuck home from november to December something new to learn. :slight_smile:

Joseph

Oh, these memories ... I actually never had a C64, but a PLUS/4.

There is a product called "TINYC64", basicly a linux emulator based on a A20, it's on sale in EU and US. Same company has sad to release a "Full sized C64". You might also want to check this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/adric22 :slight_smile:

I have saw a lot of the 8 Bit guy channel. He does some awesome jobs on older system.

Edit: I did see the Plus4 also on his channel once he was talking about the commodore history.

Joseph

I personally would like to get (again) hand on a plus4 casing with working keyboard and replace the most likely not working interior with a raspberrypi - it's just a cool spacy casing IMO :slight_smile:

I have saw someone did that with a raspberry pi. Would it be possible to run the original OS of the plus4 or woud it be some type of emulator? Sorry got me curious.

Joseph

josephchrzempiec:
Hello Zwieblum thank you. I'm looking into it. I never programmed in basic before. I'm just researching it now. and just like arduinio it will take me forever to learned the basic LOL

Joseph

As someone who wrote a lot of Basic between 1980 and 1999 I can tell you that it sucks in time-wasting ways, especially line-number interpreted BASIC which is what the C64 has with almost no decent graphics commands.

Spend your time learning C, just C without the ++ until you know C well and then go for C++. Arduino code is C/C++, you can do wonders with C alone.

The 6502/6510 does have few registers but some of the 13 indirect addressing modes let the CPU work directly on memory instead of fetch the byte, operate on the byte, store the byte that say an x86 computer can only do.

For me the neatest part of the C64 is the sound chip with ADSR sound envelopes. And yeah, I did have a C64 for a bit before I sold it right after getting a Z80 machine built.

Best thing I got from Commodore was my Amiga1000. If Jack ~Trample~ hadn't screwed the programmers so badly, that machine would have been around for years.

I had a Forth cartridge for my earlier VIC-20. It turned the toy into a learning machine for me. Forth is tops!

Hello GoForSmoke Thank you for that information I'm learning more each day. I don't mine typing in a lo of code that can take me hours or days to be honest. I have a lot of time on my hands as they say. But it is something i always wanted to learn. And thorught maybe i can incorporate a little arduino into it. Who know's maybe i can do a little more like controlling things with the arduino like lights or relays or who know's. I love the chance of taking something old and renewing it making something new out of it. And this would be the perfect time to add a little arduino into it.

Joseph

You might get your feet wet with CBMBASIC GitHub - mist64/cbmbasic: cbmbasic, a portable version of Commodore's version of Microsoft BASIC 6502 as found on the Commodore 64
Please enter all commands in uppercase :slight_smile: