common LED resistor, LED's on arduino at 3.3V

so to those who claim that the current was bring limited I still have no explanation as to how, Yes I have seen a video in which the guy powered an LED with no resistor and it worked although he made it a brief demonstration, so i say, if my chip was really "putting out" it would have shown it. so why was I getting nothing out ? the question was actually about my resistor arrangement but we have deviated. Any chance of us considering the real question i asked ?

sparkylabs:
Any chance of us considering the real question i asked ?

I think your question has been answered :roll_eyes:

if you do not agree, then, any chance of you posting useful things ?

It would be easier to help if you posted a schematic , to show us how all is wired.

I agree, after looking through this thread, the best answer has been provided given the information that has been shared by the OP. The 5 ohms is too low. Beyond that, we'd need to:

• See your schematic
  • See a well focused, high resolution picture that clearly shows your set-up
  • Know what the 3.3V source is

Can you provide those things?

sparkylabs:
the question was actually about my resistor arrangement but we have deviated. Any chance of us considering the real question i asked ?

Yes, LEDs can share a resistor as long as only one LED is lit at any given time (or you're willing to accept variable brightness depending on how many are lit).

so i say, if my chip was really "putting out" it would have shown it.

These arguments often occur on this board. The fact is, you did damage. The damage may not be visible now, but it is there. Whether or not the damage will become apparent later is anybody's guess.

so why was I getting nothing out ?

It's possible you were overloading the voltage regulator so grossly that it went into automatic overcurrent shutdown mode to protect itself.