Communicating Arduino with Ethernet

Hi,

I am extremely new with using ardunio but I wanted to know if it was possible to use a standard Ethernet to communicate with my computer without using the internet. I want to do this since Ethernet would be much faster than the USB which supplied on the board. For example, I want to use a ardunio mega with a Ethernet shield and connect a normal Ethernet cable to my laptop so I can compile and download the code to the ardunio to perform the function without using the internet.

Second question is regarding the connection between two ardunios. I want to connect my computer though usb connection to the usb port of an ardunio uno with a Ethernet shield and then connect a Ethernet from the uno to a ardunio mega. I would like to do this since I want to use the uno to control the inputs (by buttons and joysticks) given by the mega from the motors/servo/sensors.

Please let me know if any of this is possible. Thank you so much.

I want to do this since Ethernet would be much faster than the USB which supplied on the board.

It most certainly will NOT.

prem21: I want to use a ardunio mega with a Ethernet shield and connect a normal Ethernet cable to my laptop so I can compile and download the code to the ardunio to perform the function without using the internet.

You can upload to your Arduino over Ethernet using the Ariadne bootloader: https://github.com/LoathingKernel/Ariadne-Bootloader The reasons you would want to do this is to allow you to upload to an Arduino that is already connected to the network, at a distance from the computer farther than a standard USB cable will allow, inaccessible, etc. I would not recommend doing this solely in hopes of a faster upload.