Communication between 2 board

Hello,

I am new to arduino and I am planning to do a personal hobby project which involves 2 boards communicating wirelessly. I plan to use the Yun board but i am not sure whether this wireless communication between 2 board is possible.

Another requirement is that one board send signal when i push one button, then the other board responds if it is near n what is the distance.

Is this possible? What are the sensor(for long distance measurement) and wireless communication; and board (YUN or other) do I need?

Regards, Rakesh

I plan to use the Yun board but i am not sure whether this wireless communication between 2 board is possible.

A doddle.

Another requirement is that one board send signal when i push one button, then the other board responds if it is near n what is the distance

Very difficult.

Needs more specification.

Thank you for your reply.

There may be long distance between the boards,so what type of communication technology is suitable for my project? Bluetooth? The boards will be autonomous but bluetooth asks for confirmation to pair before communicating, so how do i overcome the handshake?

I want to calculate the distance to differentiate when both boards are near to each other or when they are far apart.

There may be long distance between the boards

Again, needs more specification.

What is the environment? What is the required latency of detection? What is the cost of failure?

I want to calculate the distance to differentiate when both boards are near to each other or when they are far apart.

Do a quick search of the forum for people who have asked the same or similar questions - they come around about once a week.

"Long distance" is meaningless on its own. You need to put a number on it. Also you need to say whether there may be obstacles (eg walls) between the Arduinos.

If you use WiFi for communication you run the risk of delays within the internet system - but if it communicates over the internet distance could be measured in 1000's of miles.

Short distance wireless comms might be better using 2.4GHz transceivers such as the NRF24 - it should give longer distances than bluetooth.

Detecting distance between devices is not easy. You could have a system where some message is transmitted every second and if it is not received it could be assumed a device was out of range.

I hope this gives you some idea of the sort of information that is needed to answer your question.

...R

Thank you for your answer.

As I am new to electronics (I have a background in sw/web dev), I tend to omit information that I admit will help answer my questions. This is an opportunity for me to learn what/how to ask for future projects.

The board will be used outside. Distance between board will vary 0-200 m. Detection should occur almost immediately or within seconds (1-20 s). Even if I cannot know the distance between the 2 boards, is there a way to know when they are close enough (say 1-2 m away)?

The 2 boards will be sending/receiving messages to/from each other.

Thank you

rakeshkhoodeeram: is there a way to know when they are close enough (say 1-2 m away)?

If you could use ultrasonic PING sensors that would enable accurate measurement over that distance.

The only other thing I can think of is to detect the intensity of a lamp. But I suspect that would not be very reliable - especially in daylight.

...R