Communication between Arduinos over Ethernet, LANC protocol

Hi everybody,

I'm currently in the research phase of building a simple remote to control the REC and IRIS of my camera remotely through LAN-C protocol.

I'm quite a beginner at this and am searching for the best way to take before starting to write the code.

So the configuration is as follows,

Camera side unit :
1 Arduino UNO to send the command to the camera through LANC protocol
1 Ethernet shield to receive / send the command to the remote unit
1 LED as a witness of the connection
1 2,5mm Jack to plug to the camera

Remote Control Unit :
1 Arduino UNO to send orders to the camera side
1 Ethernet shield to receive / send the command to the Camera unit
1 LED as a witness of the connection
1 LED as a "recording" indicator
1 Potentiometer to control the Iris of the camera
1 Button to trigger the Record on camera

That's basically it for the components.

My main question is about what's the best way to make my two arduinos unit (camera and remote control units) communicate together efficiently over ethernet.

I have found loads of examples everywhere of working communications over ethernet between two arduinos but only as a server / client type of communications.

And the things is I need to be able to communicate both ways between the two because :

• The remote control unit side needs to tell to the camera unit that they have to change certain parameters.
  • And in the opposite direction I need the camera side to be able to send back a "currently recording" info to the remote control unit

I've been documenting myself over UDP protocol to make the two communicate both ways, but all I could find was just basic text exchanging between two units, which I found to be useless in my use...

What would you guys would recommand as a method of choice to make the two communicate both ways ?

Also if you know tutorials to make that kind of code, I'll be thankful, everything I found as of now wasn't too much of a use in my case.

Thanks !

Arthur.