Communication between Arduinos via Bluetooth LE

Hey everyone,

So I have yet another novice question that hopefully someone can help me with. I’m working on a parking monitoring system project that involves Bluetooth as communication. Essentially, I want it to behave like peer to peer communication. Each parking space will have its own Arduino and Bluetooth LE module. When the sensor sends the status of the Parking space, the data will be stored in Arduino. The connected Bluetooth module will then send that information to the next parking space. This chain will continue and the statuses will be “tallied up”. At the end of the row, an Arduino will determine if any of the parking spaces are open and then light up an LED as green for available parking or red if the row is full.

My main question is, would peer to peer communication be the way to go? Is it possible to communicate between Arduinos (planning on using Arduino Uno) via Bluetooth?

My second question would be if this is possible then which Bluetooth LE modules should I look in to purchasing? I’ve been researching the different ones, but I’m not quite sure what to look for.

Finally, can a Bluetooth module be both a slave and master? In the case of three parking spaces, the Bluetooth module of the middle parking space would have to receive the data from the first parking space and then transmit new data to the third parking space? Would this be possible using one BLE module or would I need to buy two - one for receiving and one for transmitting?

Again, my apologies for the lengthy post, I have never worked with Bluetooth and I am very rusty with Arduino so this is a stretch for me. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

I also attached a very top level picture of what I intend to do.

Doc1.doc (250 KB)