Communication Error. Uno Works Fine, Nano Does Not.

I am installing custom lighting on an RC airplane, and have everything sorted with an "Arduino Uno". I am trying to save weight for the plane, so I purchased what I thought was an "Arduino Nano". I didn't read the Ebay ad clearly enough, and got an Iduino Nano V3 With Atmega168". It appears to be a generic Arduino. I have written my program on the Uno, and it all works great, but when I try to communicate with the Nano (I have switched the com port, and board type), I get this error: "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00". I have been reading for hours on this error with no luck. Would I be better off buying a true Arduino board (As I thought I did in the first place). Getting very frustrated at this point.

My laptop is running Windows 7 if that matters...

Iduino? How much program memory/RAM does your sketch take? The 168 may not have enough RAM or program memory. Also you would need to establish what clock speed it is running at before you can use the bootloader.

My sketch is only 1,280 bytes. And your last ? "Also you would need to establish what clock speed it is running at before you can use the bootloader.", I have no idea what that means, I may be in over my head, I thought this would program the same as my uno, which I have figured out for what I need it to do. Here is a link to what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281048984645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 . Thanks for the reply!

The link says 16 MHz, so that part is OK. You need to choose something other than a Uno from the "board" menu.

Since you have a Uno you could use the sketch described here to find what bootloader is on the new board:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11633

The chip also has less RAM. Do you know how much RAM your sketch is using when it runs?

I can already see that this is getting way over my head. Is there an Arduino "Nano" or something really small/lightweight that I can purchase that will operate and communicate the same as my Uno has? I am new to this, and I'd rather buy something that works like what I have already learned. The Uno worked as described, but this thing has simply been a nightmare. I can work my way up as I feel comfortable, but the giant step in difficulty with dealing with something that I thought was going to program the same way is just going to end up turning me off into going any further. This is going into a high performance light weight airplane, so every gram counts, but I may just have to deal with the uno until I can get a grasp on this. Does the Genuine Arduino Nano operate just like an Uno?

You may simply need to change the "board type" so don't panic just yet. You don't have a Uno, so change Tools -> Board to something else like Duemilanove w/ Atmega168.

I changed it to "Arduino Nano W/ ATmega168", Which I was assuming was the equivelent as it seems I got a replica/counterfeit board. But that did not work. Maybe another option as you suggested will be the answer. I'll try a few...

If you run the sketch I linked above you may find the MD5 sum of the bootloader and then we can find what they have put on the board, as well as the fuse settings.

For your airplane you may need a chip with more memory for programs, and more RAM. They could however still be very light.

The Nano 3.0 (with the Atmega328P) might be more suitable.

If you run the sketch I linked above you may find the MD5 sum of the bootloader and then we can find what they have put on the board, as well as the fuse settings.

How is he to run that sketch, when it appears that the problem is that he can't upload anything to the board?

PaulS: How is he to run that sketch, when it appears that the problem is that he can't upload anything to the board?

The sketch runs on the UNO and accesses the target board via ICSP.

PaulS: How is he to run that sketch, when it appears that the problem is that he can't upload anything to the board?

He said he had a Uno, which works.

I messaged the seller, and got this response: "Dear friend, We are glade to service you.The tech-team said below. Does a new Hardware appear in your Windows Device Maganer?If yes, would you please kindly install the driver of the FT232.Then it will be OK."

The hardware does appear to show up in my device manager, so I may just need this driver. Unfortunately, I have no idea where this driver is found, and they take on average two days to respond, so I am waiting to hear back on where to get it. Anyone here have an idea of where to find it, or if this even sounds like it is actually related to the problem?

I guess they're referring to USB drivers for the PC. If you haven't already installed the Arduino USB driver I suggest you try that - you never know, you might get lucky.

My Arduino Uno works just fine, is it a different driver than what that one uses by any chance? If so, where would i find this driver? I assume that this "Iduino Nano" is intended to be used with whatever would operate an actual "Arduino Nano". I have my Uno filling in for now, but my airplane would prefer the lighter weight Nano.