we have a project where we use an Arduino Mega 2560 for datalogging. The arduino sends
periodically (2s cycle) a string containing different sensor values. On the PC (Windows 7 and Windows XP) we use logview
for visualization (www.logview.info/) which works well for our purposes.
for logview is described here: http://www.logview.info/cms/d_formatbeschreibung.phtml
Our problem is that logview hangs up from time to time. The serial logging stops and logview can't
open the COM-Port anymore. The only solution is to unplug and reconnect the USB-cable to the Arduino. Unfortunately, this
isn't an acceptable solution for us.
What we have tried so far:
- We removed all sensors/actors from the Arduino Mega 2560 and sent only dummy strings over USB -> logview still hangs up
- We reduced the baudrate --> it seems, that the device doesn't hangs up so often (but still hangs up)
- We used shorter USB-cables --> it seems, that the device doesn't hangs up so often (but still hangs up)
- We used on the PC a simple PC-program writing serial data to a file (instead of logview) --> also hangs up
- We connected an additional arduino USART/USB converter to the second USART from the Arduino and sent the same strings over both UARTS. On PC we watched both ports with logview and putty -> both hanged up
You have any idea? We think that it could be
- problem with ground
- problem with windows