Communication with Android to Determine Battery Level

Hey all, new to the forums here so bear with me.

I am working on a project which I won't get into all of the details of but part of it is that I would like to be able to determine the battery level of an android phone via a bluetooth module and arduino, and then do something like light up a certain number of LEDs depending on the level. Any advice on the best way to go about this? Will I need to also create some sort of an Android app or can I get around this and be able to do it by only programming on the Arduino side? It would be a lot of extra effort to have to go through making an Android app for one small task. Any advice is appreciated, I am fairly inexperienced with this. Thanks

Where are you going to have your arduino?

You need an app.
Normally it is the other way around, a phone that shows the sensor data from the Arduino.
I don't know if there is such an app.
Does your phone have Bluetooth 4.0 with Bluetooth LE ? There are Bluetooth LE modules for the Arduino but also the older Bluetooth modules. Both are okay by the way.

Ahh I was afraid I would need an Android app... I know this isn't an Android forum but could someone point me in a direction to get started with programming for Android? That's something I have never done before

ccmuggs13:
could someone point me in a direction to get started with programming for Android?

Have a look at SL4A which would allow you to write a simple app in Python. It has stuff for getting battery info and for Bluetooth.

...R