Communication with Oscilloscope

Hello,
I'm working in a felicity that gets every couple months "special phones" (not smartphones), let's say some old electronic phones - about 30~40 years old which communicate through some channels, every channels has its frequency and that phone has some functions that an oscilloscope can measure them and see if they are correct, for example, the oscilloscope will show the phone's frequency, the current, and so on..

Let's get straight to the question now,
How can I get the oscilloscope's input using arduino into the computer?

I want to build a device which you can plug that "special phone" to it, and get its information through the oscillopscope to the arduino which will output in the computer, It's like an automated program which will check many features that the "special phone" has and will determine which of the features are not working, it will save alot of time because the people won't need to check all the features manually with the oscilloscope.

Any ideas where to start? Any projects out there with open-source? I know that many facilities have those kind of programs like military, but I believe it's copy-righted and out of reach.

Why don't you start by listing all the tests you are performing, with all the expected values and ranges you get.
And be much more specific.

Shpaget:
Why don't you start by listing all the tests you are performing, with all the expected values and ranges you get.
And be much more specific.

1. Checking the frequency - I'm talking about Mhz.
  2. Frequency Modulation
  3. Percent modulation of the FM/AM
  4. Receiver sensitivity
  5. Current calculation - be higher than 30mA and less than 100mA.
  6. Transmission power

These are some of the tests that are needed to check if the device is working properly, I'll add all the other necessary tests in a couple of days if necessary and the needed values to the items on the list that I didn't mention because I don't remember them.

You just connect up a "special" circuit and run a "special" sketch on the arduino. Don't be surprised if you get "special" results. :slight_smile:

You haven't told us what sort of interface the oscilloscope has to allow it to communicate with an Arduino.
It would also be a good idea to tell us the make and model of the 'scope.

...R

Robin2:
You haven't told us what sort of interface the oscilloscope has to allow it to communicate with an Arduino.
It would also be a good idea to tell us the make and model of the 'scope.

...R

I'm not sure about the exact model of the scope, but it's something like Hp 54601 model.

Do you have any references to guides about the oscilloscope / any projects to get some sort of data from the oscilloscope to the computer?

It's just possible you may be able to connect the arduino directly to the test ponts you're using and let the arduino make the measurements. It really depends what kind of ranges you are using on the scope.

KenF:
It's just possible you may be able to connect the arduino directly to the test ponts you're using and let the arduino make the measurements. It really depends what kind of ranges you are using on the scope.

That's exactly what I want to achieve, I want the arduino somehow to communicate with the scope and the output I want to see on the screen so I can test if the phone is useable or need to be fixed in some areas.
Well, the measures in the frequency are higher than 200Mhz, most of the other measurements are about percentages from 10% to 40% I believe. I'll make sure you get a full update on Sunday when I have access again to the oscilloscope and phone.

Well that's not what I meant. I was suggesting connecting your arduino DIRECTLY to the test points on the phone, but if you're measuring frequencies around 200Mhz, that's never going to work.

You'll have to check the datasheet for your scope to see if it has any output suitable for communicating it's measurements to other devices (such as your arduino).

KenF:
Well that's not what I meant. I was suggesting connecting your arduino DIRECTLY to the test points on the phone, but if you're measuring frequencies around 200Mhz, that's never going to work.

You'll have to check the datasheet for your scope to see if it has any output suitable for communicating it's measurements to other devices (such as your arduino).

I see, I hope it will be able to communicate with arduino, I really want to build an automated program to check the features of the phone. Thanks! I'll update the post with the exact model asap and see if it can communicate with the arduino.

If your scope can communicate it will be with a PC rather than an Arduino anyway. I got a Rigol scope a few months ago and that has a USB connection and can be programmed by a PC to take measurements. They are only in the $300 to $500 region.

Start with your oscilloscope, whatever interface it has, and your user manual for the 'scope. If the 'scope doesn't have any kind of interface you can't get any data out.

If the 'scope has a GPIB/HBIB or Ethernet/VXI-11 interface, these are compatible with IEEE 488.2 protocols and LabView, etc. But, you'll still need the 'scope's user manual to learn exactly how to communicate with it.

You'll need to connect to a computer, I don't see how an Arduino would help you.

DVDdoug:
Start with your oscilloscope, whatever interface it has, and your user manual for the 'scope. If the 'scope doesn't have any kind of interface you can't get any data out.

If the 'scope has a GPIB/HBIB or Ethernet/VXI-11 interface, these are compatible with IEEE 488.2 protocols and LabView, etc. But, you'll still need the 'scope's user manual to learn exactly how to communicate with it.

You'll need to connect to a computer, I don't see how an Arduino would help you.

I see, well it is already done there, I mean there's already a program which communicates with the oscilloscope to take the neccessary measurements so it can communicate with each other, the question is - the phone has plug cable and antenna cable, the plug cable is used to go inside the phone when it is checked and charge / reset channels in the phone, that plug is connected to an electric device which I believe uses a microcontroller like Arduino but I believe an older one - that is why I believe Arduino will come in handy. (and no, I can't get the source code - it's copy righted by another facility which I can't get access to)

Without the documentation on the interface to the oscilloscope you haven't got a prayer. I'd assume that the oscilloscope manufacturer would make this freely available. Start with a google based on the manufacturer and model. It's got to be out there somewhere.

Skyance:
the plug cable is used to go inside the phone when it is checked and charge / reset channels in the phone, that plug is connected to an electric device which I believe uses a microcontroller like Arduino but I believe an older one

It sounds like you know how to connect to the phone but you have no idea what is going on inside the testing process.

I'm pretty certain that we know even less about what you are trying to do.

...R

Special Answer
You need to use a "special interface" for your "special phones" to the "Special Circuit" that interfaces with the scope.

We can play this game all day. If you want a real answer, give us a real post. Start over. State your project objective without using the word "special". Post a schematic. Post a link to the phones and photo of the phones. Otherwise, post somewhere else. We don't have time for these games. Stop beating around the bush and tell what your doing and what hardware you are talking about.

Hi, can I suggest that unless you can get the protocol information about the phone and "the electronic device", you want the arduino to replace then don't waist your time.
Sorry but I think from the way you are describing the system and answering our questions, you have lttle experience with electronics, hardware and software.

The oscilloscope in its manual states that you can fit a PC interface as an accessory, however the CRO is so old, they state that the OS is DOS.
So first you have to be lucky to have the interface fitted, or available, the be able to communicate with it.

I would not put anymore time into your endeavor to automatically test these devices using arduino or with any other controller than the OEM "electronic device".

Tom....... :slight_smile: