Compare 7-segment displays and LCD and explain the

Compare 7-segment displays and LCD and explain their interfacing requirement. Can you please suggest me any website relating to it or provide me with full information.

It will be appreciated a lot.

Cheers

LCD interfaces through a 4 bit data bus with 3 wires for control. 7 IO needed total (I got it down to 3).

7 segment displays are just LEDs so you drive them directly (You tell each segment to be on or off).
You’d run out of IO fairly quickly so you can use a 595 to make it easier (three IO ports).
Alternatively a MAX7219 will drive 8 displays at once without too much hassle and it also uses three IO ports.

If you have more than 8 digits then go for LCD. The ability to display text and custom characters is pretty useful.
8 or less and you just want to show a number or two then a MAX7219 will work fine.

To add a little to Cheaters reply, you can say that most LCD modules has built in procesing power, including a character generator, whereas with the 7 segment displays, whatever you use to control them must supply the processing power to generate the characters to be displayed.

From the above you can derive that the LCD modules are able to display more complex characters than the ones you can get with the 7 LED’s in a 7 segment display. Some LCD modules will even allow you to define your own characters or graphics.

7-Segment displays have exceptionally limited text capabilities – they are best suited for numbers. You can connect to a standard character LCD with as few as six I/O lines; unless extra hardware is employed you’ll uses many more than that for 7-segment displays. The advantage of LED displays is the size of the characters and the ability to be seen in dim light.