Compare the distance between two objects, one static, one moving

Hi all,

I'm looking into the feasibility of a project and wondered if you could help.

The project would be used at the side of a path in a park. The idea is for an arduino board to output when a person passes that will start music etc for the person to enjoy. Unfortunately due to the existence of wildlife a PIR sensor probably isn't the best way to go. My thought is for guests to be taken round with a 'Presenter' who carries a device, as the device comes within range of the arduino it will trigger the music to start. I have achieved a project in the past where I used a GPS module to compare the current location to a specified GPS location and when the module comes within a specified distance it can output. I would need the static arduino board to 'track' the moving device the 'Presenter' is carrying and when that device comes within range it outputs.

Is something like this possible and does anyone have suggestions on the best way to achieve this project?

Thanks in advance
Chris

What you describe sounds possible but over complicated. As the Presenter needs to be carrying a device it might as well be a transmitter of some kind. When the Presenter wants the music to start he/she presses a button and the music starts. Why complicate things ?

Use the forum Google search function in the upper right of this page to search for the key words of your project. You will probably find many similar previous project discussions and code to get you started.

Can you arrange for the presenter to stand in the same place every time? Think RFID tag.